Intercooler boots blowing off

Chrisf97305

Reaction score
Now that I am running over 40psi of boost I have a problem with the boots blowing off the intercooler pipes. and here is why and how I fixed it with a coat hanger.

Straight pipe, nothing to hold the boot to the pipe.
IMG00149-20110716-1037.jpg

and the fix

IMG00154-20110716-1048.jpg

IMG00157-20110716-1052.jpg

IMG00159-20110716-1103.jpg

IMG00150-20110716-1038.jpg

And the final product. Now the boot will not blow off.
IMG00153-20110716-1040.jpg

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Ever looked into eliminating boots all together with v-bands ?

I'm gonna assume those are to mount to the CAC, but to eliminate as many boots as possible with v-bands.

Arisley

Reaction score

I'm gonna assume those are to mount to the CAC, but to eliminate as many boots as possible with v-bands.

What about vibrations. The motor moving different the the intercooler? Just wondering.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
What about vibrations. The motor moving different the the intercooler? Just wondering.

Ya. I was more talking about the rest of the connections. You are correct, I guess there would be know way to make a solid connection (v-band) at the IC unless you had a "floating" IC that would allow the IC to move with the motor

I have been looking into eliminating as many boots as possible and going to a v-band connection at the y pipe and IC pipes at the turbo and y pipe.

Chrisf97305

Reaction score

i would if i was going from pipe to pipe, i need the flex between the intercooler and the pipes.

Arisley

Reaction score
Ya. I was more talking about the rest of the connections. You are correct, I guess there would be know way to make a solid connection (v-band) at the IC unless you had a "floating" IC that would allow the IC to move with the motor

I have been looking into eliminating as many boots as possible and going to a v-band connection at the y pipe and IC pipes at the turbo and y pipe.

I bet it would work well if the only boots were the tube to IC. Lot of work though.

FORD7.3

Reaction score
damn chris!! always staying one step ahead of every thing on that truck...

STROKER

Reaction score
another tip for keeping boots on is brake clean the pipe so theirs no oil on them, then hairspray the pipe and boot and it dang near glues them on i hair spray all mine now and i havent had any blow off since

Chrisf97305

Reaction score
damn chris!! always staying one step ahead of every thing on that truck...

1 step ahead is getting to be a full time job. Now that I have no first gear the trans will be next. Damn auto's any way. Thats not keeping me from pulling though. I just means that I bring it to the pulls on the trailer, just incase.

I have heard that hair spray does work. Seem like every other week I have the pipes off so no hair spray yet.