Fuel system question

Arisley

Reaction score
Can I mount fuel pumps vertical, or do they need to be horizontal. It would save some room and make the mounting bracket smaller if I could mount them vertical.

If I could mount the vertical, I think I would also put the intake to the pumps on the bottom, that way the fuel is pumping up, not down, seems like less chance of cavitation.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
It depends on the pump design - but in most cases I think you would be fine. I do know that some of the older FASS pumps were very orientation sensitive due to a vent hole in the pump section.

Tom S

Reaction score
I had thought about that too but did not quite trust it so I went horizontal on mine. I wonder if they have adequate thrust bearings.

Somone had photos of the stocker all apart at one time.

Arisley

Reaction score
Maybe I can make the bracket with a top section and mount the pumps on the top. That way they will be horizontal and still have a smaller footprint.

Whytry

Reaction score
I think the idea of mounting the pump on top is a good idea. I have thought about redesigning my bracket and stuff and have thought about that. The vertical pump idea has crossed my mind but I didn't know if that would cause something in the pump not to work correctly from being vertical.

Irishcream

Reaction score
made up the bracket to isolate the pump a little to keep the vibration and shock down. I used an old piece of mud flap behind it to keep the aluminum off the steel frame.

Tom S

Reaction score
Later on if you want more noise control look for what is called a lord mount. Basically a rubber bushing with studs on each end.

commnt.jpg

Last edited:

QtrHorse

Reaction score
Tom S,

Do you still have that tube style finned fuel cooler or did you decide to take it out? If you still have it, do you think it made a difference?

Tom S

Reaction score
Tom S,

Do you still have that tube style finned fuel cooler or did you decide to take it out? If you still have it, do you think it made a difference?

I do think it helps an it is still in there. OBS is just so tight on room with an intercooler it would be hard to do one up front. I still do like the advatage of it being more damage proof.

Arisley

Reaction score
Well, I just built a 28" bracket that fits between the frame rails. I will mount the filters on each end and mount the two super duty pumps in the middle. It will also give me room to mount an extra Glow plug relay I have on there. I will fire the glow plug relay with the factory fuel pump wiring. And run a 4 guage wire from the the battery to the relay and run some 12 guage from the relays to the pumps. I will be posting pics.

Wish I had seen Toms setup before I started, I have some stuff I could have done something like that with. My bracket is 16 guage steel with angle iron welded to the top and bottom for mounting flanges.

Arisley

Reaction score
Yeah, I want everything on one mount, that way I can do all the plumbing on my bench, not laying on my back in the driveway. It is going to be all 3/8 hard line between the pumps and the filters. With the exception of a shot length of hose between the hardline and the pumps. That should isolate the pump vibrations from the hard line.

Irishcream

Reaction score
That's the route I went. 3/8th from the tank selector to the filter base, 3/8 to the pump and back to the filter base then again back to the hard line. I was gonna try and find a way to put it in the valley. I guess if you simply plumbed in the filter beside the selector and kept the existing hard lines up to the motor. Then you'd have to find a good spot under the hood for your secondary filter. then run the line to the pump in the valley. it would look pretty cool though.

TARM

Reaction score
If we are talking about the bosch or walbros they have the same design and general build as all the in-tank mounted versions all of which are vertical. I also know of countless of these pumps mounted at ever possible angle externally with no issues what so ever from it.

TARM

Reaction score
Another way to do it to make it compact is a basic L plate mounted upside down. Mount the pumps horizontal on the top out from the filter bases. That way you can have your filter bases as close as the port fittings and hose ends will allow. This is one of the very nice things about the excursions. You literally have 4+ feet of exposed uninterrupted frame rail you can mount to. Basically from the factory pump location back to front hanger of the rear leaf springs on the outside of the frame rail. Only the Ebrake cable to deal with but that it.

Latest posts

Members online