38r Perfromance?

forddieselkicksass

Reaction score
I've been searching for a couple days and getting a mixed bag..

I recently purchased a 38r and will install it when it arrives. The reason I bought the turbo is because I plan on purchasing some 238/80 hybrids in the next 6 months.

My question is, will there be any performance gains while running it with the stock injectors? MPG? HP?

jngreen

Reaction score
I've been searching for a couple days and getting a mixed bag..

I recently purchased a 38r and will install it when it arrives. The reason I bought the turbo is because I plan on purchasing some 238/80 hybrids in the next 6 months.

My question is, will there be any performance gains while running it with the stock injectors? MPG? HP?

It will probably feel a lot better than the stock turbo and egts will be lower as well. It has a bigger compressor wheel and turbine housing, but will spool just as fast or faster than stock. However, with stock injectors and a chip, the stock turbo will make close to the same power as a 38r.

forddieselkicksass

Reaction score
This is the mixed bag i've been getting. Some people say it won't give me anything until I do injectors, others say I will see a slight increase in power even with stock injectors.. I guess I'll just have to wait a day or two and see :)

blackbetty13

Reaction score
80hp from a drop in? :pointlaugh::morons:

You need to think a bit about this.

well thats what i saw on garrets website i mean you cant expect 90hp from a drop in but there is a guy on here thats got his dynos in his sig and its 290 with a 38r and stock sticks only trying to help

jngreen

Reaction score
80hp from a drop in? :pointlaugh::morons:

You need to think a bit about this.

I tried to convince somebody they were wrong about that in the last thread. But if they read it on a website or in a magazine, it must be true.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
You will see slightly lower EGT's, if your chipped now.

You will see slightly quicker spool, if your chipped now.

You will gain about 25-30hp on the dyno if your chipped now.

A stock 2000 with chip, intake, exhaust and such with stock turbo will dyno 290-320 on average.

A stock 2000 with chip, intake, exhaust and 38R will dyno about 320-340 on average...

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I could probably see 20-30 hp gain up top. Just from the reduction in BP, and the better flow of the 38R compressor.

rc4wd

Reaction score
I dynoed 262 hp in my E99 with stock 300k miles injectors, swamps tunes, and a 38r. Could notice quicker spool up and slighty better mileage but my stock turbo was beyond shot also so I'm not sure wat differences you would have between a good stocker and a 38r

TyCorr

Reaction score
@jngreen-in the other thread I said with tuning, adding a 38r you will pick up 90hp over stock. So taking a stock truck, that dynos 220ish adding tuning and putting in the 38r would get you 90hp over stock truck. So 310 give or take. That is EXACTLY what garretts claiming too. I did NOT say that simply adding a charger and changing nothing else would gain 90 hp.

As an aside, four wheeler took a lifted 2000 psd that dynoed 225 after they replaced the transmission. Then they took the stock turbo out and added a 38r and picked up 60hp over that base figure.

W/o certain people getting their pink semen-crusted panties in a wad, remember the bb charger, all else being constant flows 33% more air than a stock charger. Now we cant assume that 33% is met with fuel to match the added air. If you run a stock truck with the hottest tune you find there is a substantial amount of smoke. With the 38r not at all...so does that not tell you that you are burning more fuel?

Id say 20% increase in power over a stocker would be totally possible just for the lack of bp and unburnt fuel. THats my two frickin cents.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Here's mine. Intake tune and exhaust. 1/4 mile burnout. Runs clean though. LOL
th_video-2010-04-24-12-03-45.jpg

Here's one where it hooks a little better. I was doing 4 wheel burnouts all day...

th_video-2010-04-24-11-34-33.jpg

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
@jngreen-in the other thread I said with tuning, adding a 38r you will pick up 90hp over stock. So taking a stock truck, that dynos 220ish adding tuning and putting in the 38r would get you 90hp over stock truck. So 310 give or take. That is EXACTLY what garretts claiming too. I did NOT say that simply adding a charger and changing nothing else would gain 90 hp.

As an aside, four wheeler took a lifted 2000 psd that dynoed 225 after they replaced the transmission. Then they took the stock turbo out and added a 38r and picked up 60hp over that base figure.

W/o certain people getting their pink semen-crusted panties in a wad, remember the bb charger, all else being constant flows 33% more air than a stock charger. Now we cant assume that 33% is met with fuel to match the added air. If you run a stock truck with the hottest tune you find there is a substantial amount of smoke. With the 38r not at all...so does that not tell you that you are burning more fuel?

Id say 20% increase in power over a stocker would be totally possible just for the lack of bp and unburnt fuel. THats my two frickin cents.

:doh:

Latest posts

Members online