Am I expecting too much from my truck?

Peroni

Reaction score
This is about the truck in my sig. I use it to tow my 25" PJ gooseneck that weighs about ~6500lbs empty. Even with just the empty trailer my truck really seems to struggle with the weight. If I'm on the hwy and there's a hill coming up I need to have the revs at least 2K or higher or it just will not make it. Even on long hills and an engine speed of 2K+ the egts creep up and I have to back off the throttle. Sometime I'm forced to downshift to 3rd and while this helps keep the egt's in check I still have to back off the throttle. If I try to push the truck in 3rd I loose both HPO and lube oil pressure, if I don't back out of it this will set an icp over/under code. I expected better from this truck esp with the 4.10 gearing. It tows only marginally better than my old 96 F150 with the 5.0 gas motor!

So are my expectations too high? I did haul 18K from MA to WI last summer and while the truck did the job I felt it struggled on anything but flat ground. Could it be a tuning thing or do I not have the right hardware combo or should I just get used to struggling on every grade?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
you think your f150 will tow a gooseneck that heavy just a little worse? does it fog smoke when your trying to clime the hill? and how hot is it getting?

davey99ps

Reaction score
Something doesn't make sense. If the HP #'s are correct in your sig, your truck shouldn't have any problems with that kind of weight.

Petro

Reaction score
Davey99ps is right, with 442 ponies you should be having any problem, i would assume the tow tune is prob around 250? 300? rwhp and that sohuld be plenty to handle that

Peroni

Reaction score
No smoke trying to pull a hill. I can hit 1250° very easy if I don't keep the revs up. Even if I do if the hill is big enough I just can't seem to hold a steady speed. I'll be pushing 13lbs of boost and the truck just doesn't have any more to give without the egt's getting too hot.

No idea what hp the tow tunes make.

When the oil pressures start going crazy if I don't back out it will set a P1211 code. It only does it if I'm in 3rd pulling a hill from about 2000 to 2500 rpm. I can push the truck harder in OD and it doesn't do this but egt's force me to cut back there.

Petro

Reaction score
:whs: there is a big problem somewhere, you should be having no problem with any of the loads you mentioned

Peroni

Reaction score
Thank you for the response guys, at least I know I'm not being too unreasonable with my expectations.

Got the parameters my tuner wants to see and am working to try and data log a pull for him to study.

Ross3031

Reaction score
Ya, your not being unreasonable.

I know im not over 400hp (no injectors yet) and i pull 15K-20K on a weekly basis. I can run 70mph down the highway all day on semi flat ground, egt's at 900-1200, and only shift down out of 6th on steeper stuff, egts about 1400 or just a tad more on long uphills.

HOWEVER, my truck was lived tuned by Tony, and to top it off i had my my gooseneck and skid with me (15K). So the tow setting is as good running as i think it can possibly get :rockon:

Cody

Reaction score
Ya, your not being unreasonable.

I know im not over 400hp (no injectors yet) and i pull 15K-20K on a weekly basis. I can run 70mph down the highway all day on semi flat ground, egt's at 900-1200, and only shift down out of 6th on steeper stuff, egts about 1400 or just a tad more on long uphills.

HOWEVER, my truck was lived tuned by Tony, and to top it off i had my my gooseneck and skid with me (15K). So the tow setting is as good running as i think it can possibly get :rockon:

lol that would be about as good as it gets for a tow tune :rockon:

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
i know my 96 with 3.55 with our gooseneck at around 6500lbs i can run hills good with mods in sig and thats not even close to you in HP with old tony tunes but with my tunes from Matt i can pull it and keep forgettin its back there i could barely get EGT's to 1200 empty

bama29fan

Reaction score
No smoke trying to pull a hill. I can hit 1250° very easy if I don't keep the revs up. Even if I do if the hill is big enough I just can't seem to hold a steady speed. I'll be pushing 13lbs of boost and the truck just doesn't have any more to give without the egt's getting too hot.

No idea what hp the tow tunes make.

When the oil pressures start going crazy if I don't back out it will set a P1211 code. It only does it if I'm in 3rd pulling a hill from about 2000 to 2500 rpm. I can push the truck harder in OD and it doesn't do this but egt's force me to cut back there.

so you are only getting 13psi of boost?

Vengeance

Reaction score
i know my 96 with 3.55 with our gooseneck at around 6500lbs i can run hills good with mods in sig and thats not even close to you in HP with old tony tunes but with my tunes from Matt i can pull it and keep forgettin its back there i could barely get EGT's to 1200 empty

Dang dude, why you calling me old? LOL

plgebbia

Reaction score
Worn out LPOP? You mentioned losing base oil pressure. If the HPOP is not getting enough oil, this could be your problem.

Latest posts

Members online