Boost leak

MK350

Reaction score
Henry is acting really strange!
Today I pulled out and jumped on him hard WOT, he pulled hard till he shifted, as soon as he shifted, he fell on his face, no boost! Kept my foot down to understand why?, Smoked like crazy ran only about 2500RPM. Let out of the throttle then eased back into it. He ran normal. Tried a Hard start once more, As he shifted I heard what sounded like an intercooler boot poping off, then pssssed, loss of boost, like last time and no performance. I just checked all the boots and can not see anything obvious. Has any one suffered the same drivability issue? If not where does the boost leak from when the boots give it up the most? I can't imagine if a boot was torn that there would be no sign of that as I drive normal, Henry has always smoked a little and I have gone looking for boost leaks before? Any one have any ideas? Thanks.

OBS F350

Reaction score
I know on the 7.3's uppipes will sometimes leak causing a loss of boost, check around the firewall and look for soot. Good luck with the diagnosing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom S

Reaction score
Two posts edited boys. The Henry deal is not that important.

MK350

Reaction score
Thanks Tom, funny thing is I set my self up and didn't even realize it. Just trying to be descriptive to maybe have a better chance at diagnosing this issue.

Arisley

Reaction score
Check uppies for soot. Pull the intercooler tubes off. Bet you find an issues there. If all it good there, pull the spider off. If no issue is found there, clean everything up. Check the boots really good while cleaning. Remember, brake cleaner is cheap. Get you a cheap can of hairspray. Reassemble everything, spraying hairspray on the inside of all the boots, it lubes every thing up while wet and sticks it together when dry. Try running it again, if the situation is still the same, build a leak detector and go from there. Good luck.

To all the douche bags. Lots of people name their trucks, get over it. This is the tech section, if you can help, please do so. A little thing for humor is OK, but save the bashing for the forums where it is appropriate to do so. Thanks.

MK350

Reaction score
I have learned to dismiss the negative comments of some and look for the information I need! Thanks for the information, I figured I would have to tear into it and check it out! I should replace all the boots while I am in there. I might do a couple other mods while there as well.

MK350

Reaction score
Its not a boost leak at all! Just took it for another ride shifts from 1 to 2 fine going into third is when the problem occurs, at full throttle the engine will not gain RPM, I beleive the Sprag in the torque converter gave up, I have a trip to the trans doctor that built the tran last. 2 year warranty is going to pay off!

Tom S

Reaction score
Bad sprag makes for not torque multiplication off the line to my understanding.

MK350

Reaction score
I think the sprig is weak, it locks up fine in the lower gears were the load isn't too great on the sprag, in the higher gears the bigger load on the sprag forced it to slip. Of coarse this is speculation at this point, the trans shop will tell me more tonight!

kampy

Reaction score
Sorry, just got back to this, really didn't mean to get anybody cranked up over the name thing, it was just a light joke. As Andy said. A little thing for humor is OK, thats all it was intended as Sorry.

Did your trans guy get back with you yet? In my mind a slipping sprag or convertor will rev freely not lock and hold the engine back, it almost sounds like the trans is working against itself internally when it shift into third. Don't know if that would even be possible.

Let us know.

MK350

Reaction score
My trans guy doesn't feel it's the converter, nor do I any longer. If in fact if it were a failing sprag it would react the same way under hard load, I tested stall speed, 4 wheel high with the brakes locked, stall speed seems right and the truck almost drives thru the brakes! I have been able to recreate the symptoms in 2cd gear before it shifts into 3rd. I needed to get the Ranger fixed in order to start troubleshooting the big truck. I fixed the Ranger tonight. No more speculating on the big truck it's time to troubleshoot.

MK350

Reaction score
Proof that the time we spend speculating would be best spent reading! I went to the Nation and started reading threads on waste gates, then boost issues, I stumbled on a thread that described my symptoms to the T, I read on.......

No Way it couldn't possibly be that simple, That's what I said as I walked to the truck to check it out tonight. Poped the hood and went straight for the air filter restriction meter, pushed the reset and pssssssst.........

Figure it out yet?

Pulled the top of the STOCK air filter box, the paper filter was bulging in the middle! Pulled it out and turned it over, the accordions were flattened out. Yep it was dirty. Pulled the filter out and went on a quick test ride, no issues, stock tune runs as good as the tow perf w the dirty filter.

So due to the dirty filter and the mods already completed, the stock intake tubing was sucking shut cutting fresh air from the turbo! Let out of the throttle and the tube opens up and all is good. I even watched the you tube video of this a while back! It's time to upgrade the intake!..................

To be continued!

Last edited:

MK350

Reaction score
I'll do it for you! Lack of maintenance! I figure this filter has 10K on it, I changed it just before vacation last year, when I did the oil that time, the last oil change was at work during lunch, didn't even think to check it then, had to rush thru it. I change the fuel filter with every oil change, I will be adding an air filter to that list! My bad.

Latest posts

Members online