6.4 chip/dpf delete help please

stroker2

Reaction score
Well my old man has a 6.4 that just went out of warranty and now he is looking to get that fuel mileage up without sacraficing durability (much at least). He basically wants a safe chip but also cheap....doesn't need a 350hp spartan tune for 1300 bucks. I am confused as to whether or not you can leave the dpf in place and just turn it off via a chip or it has to be removed at the time the chip goes in? Also, he mainly wants to just turn the dpf off/get rid of it for mpg but may be interested in a max of a 50hp tune to go with it, egt safe, and tranny safe. Not sure who makes a good tune with that power level at a decent price. I know innovative, H&S, Spartan, and KEM are the ones to go to with a 6.4.

Thank you in advance!

jdgleason

Reaction score
He is gonna have to ditch the dpf. He wont see any better mileage with the dpf, and the dpf on the truck when its tuned is more of a liability than anything. He will want a good set of gauges, so H&S seems to be a good option for him. As far as small tunes, mileage seems to be the best on the bigger tunes. So, I think he should go for a full set of tunes.

Spatel23

Reaction score
You pretty much answered your own question in your last sentence.

They all have low HP tunes available. If he does disable the DPF but leaves it on, it will end up getting clogged and causing more problems. You may aswell take it off. It does not HAVE to be removed.

Give a vendor a call, good luck.

jdgleason

Reaction score
FWIW my favorite "lower" tune is spartan's 210 tow. Runs super super cool and still has good power. No worries of blowing anything up or overheating

White_monster

Reaction score
:whs: the spartan 210 tune has all the factory safety's built in to avoid excess heat and such. Spartan also has the best gauges/monitor on the market and the spartan requires no drilling of any kind to pick up sensors. Your being foolish to not buy a quality part for your expensive truck. If you can afford the truck you should be able to afford the right parts for it. Not trying to be an a$$ but it's true.

JDub

Reaction score
My vote is for the DPF/Cat delete pipe and the XRT-Pro tuner with the 'Easy' files in it. Gives him the mileage jump, little better trans strategy, and a little extra power without worry of extreme egt's and smoke.

Let us know if we can help, have everything on the shelf ready to ship...

stroker2

Reaction score
Alright thanks! That explains it very clearly. My dad is getting 10-11 mpg right now because he does a lot of in town type of driving. How much mpg gain would there be by just turning off the dpf? And how much gain with turning th dpf and going to a big tune?

JDub

Reaction score
Alright thanks! That explains it very clearly. My dad is getting 10-11 mpg right now because he does a lot of in town type of driving. How much mpg gain would there be by just turning off the dpf? And how much gain with turning th dpf and going to a big tune?

I'd say at least 3mpg daily driving, closer to 5mpg on the freeway. At least thats what most of our customers are seeing with a simple dpf delete and XRT tuner.

stroker2

Reaction score
Got to looking at the xrt pro and it says that you can turn the egr off without deleting it. Is this safe? I mean why make delete kits if you can just turn it off with the chip? Not being sarcastic just wondering. And would turning the egr off yield even more mpg? thanks and sorry for the dumb questions

jdgleason

Reaction score
Most of the tuners shut off the egr with the bigger tunes. It is still a good idea to get rid of it because it can blow open, and coolant still runs through the coolers, and the coolant can flash boil and crack the coolers. Probably wont notice a difference in mileage with the cat.

Danbonzo

Reaction score
You don't turn off the DPF, you delete it as in replace with a straight pipe.

Got to looking at the xrt pro and it says that you can turn the egr off without deleting it. Is this safe? I mean why make delete kits if you can just turn it off with the chip? Not being sarcastic just wondering. And would turning the egr off yield even more mpg? thanks and sorry for the dumb questions
EGR is turned off on the race tunes 250 and up, the mpg gain comes w/ the big tune levels. You delete (remove) EGR system because coolers can crack and coolant can enter engine, also they can flash boil coolant adding to the puke phenomenon.

also, i see options to get a dpf delete pipe and a dpf/cat delete pipe. Any mileage benefits with deleting the cat? or any other benefits other than lower egts?
Do DPF/CAT delete, Let it breath! Big improvement in flow.

mortal798

Reaction score
I got my DPF/DOC delete kit, S&B Cold Air Intake, and XRT Pro from PTP for just over $1000. If I drive it easy, I can get 18.7 hand calculated, normal driving is about 15-16.

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
I run H&S products and have been very pleased with them. If you do the XRT with the Easy Tune Files like J-Dub suggested you will be pleased with the mileage increase with no added stress on the truck.

Latest posts

Members online