E4OD to 4R100

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
So, my 02 is goin under the knife...

When it's done I expect that the ATS trans that I installed in my ignorance, will promptly lay down and die.

Other than some VB issues that took 3 months too long to get ATS to fix, it's been an alright trans. It'd be perfect in my wife's truck, which tows a max of 12k once or twice a month. 160/stocks and a few other tweaks on an otherwise stock truck, but I'd like it to tow a little better than the stock trans and "HD" converter will let me get away with.

So, rather than buying two BTS trans' soon, I'd like to just use the ATS in her truck.

But, I don't have the first clue what a guy needs to do to make a 4R100 work in an OBS truck. Obviously, it'll bolt right up. But I'm short a sensor or two aren't I?

Can a PCS be used to tune around the missing sensor?

Any experiences or ideas?

wint

Reaction score
Im pretty sure its a throw in and go. I know that a good trans builder will do the 4R100 update on a e4od. Id say plug (bolt) and play.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I know it'll bolt right up, I'm wondering about all the other fun stuff.

I know my 02 freaked the hell out on me when the VSS went out, trans would shift to 3rd from a stop at 15mph and lock the converter, then do a rapid fire TC lock/unlock performance until I let off the throttle.

Trying to avoid fun like that.

How much of that is the difference in PCM's though?

wint

Reaction score
Dont hold my word on this. But i was told that the electronics are the same on the trans its self. Like i said dont hold me to it, im sure some one will chime in with a definate answer.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Put the 4r100 in and and go. Pretty positive that it has 2 extra sensors that the e4od doesn't have. No problem though cause you can just leave the sensors in their respective places, connect your wires to the other sensors sensors that are there and go. The gear indicator lever on the side of the trans needs to be swapped if I'm not mistaken. Maybe a solenoid pack but not 100% on that.

davey99ps

Reaction score
Aljay on psn did this swap an from what I remember, he didn't do anything special. I believe he plugged in the sensors he could an left it at that. I hope its that easy, cuz down the road I'd like to switch to a 4r

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I would talk to Brian at BTS. I'm thinking for some reason that the pump in the 4r100 is pw modulated and I know that the e40d pump isn't. One call to Brian and he will tell you for sure.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Bolt it up and drive it, you will have 2 un-used sensors that simply do not need to be used so just block them off.

If you were to put a e40d into the SD then you'd start having problems!

Dieselfever

Reaction score
I was thinking the Solenoid packs had a difference and the PWM was the Tq verter but that is just how they are controlled

-Michael

Tom S

Reaction score
I would talk to Brian at BTS. I'm thinking for some reason that the pump in the 4r100 is pw modulated and I know that the e40d pump isn't. One call to Brian and he will tell you for sure.

I was also thinking the PWM was for lockup.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
And I hate to call Brian with this, as I'm tryin to swap so I'm only buyin one trans from him.

907DAVE

Reaction score
I was thinking the Solenoid packs had a difference and the PWM was the Tq verter but that is just how they are controlled

-Michael

Yip, no workie unless you change your pump and solenoid pack. Also, the cooler lines are different.

If it were mine, I would switch cases out.....pretty simple if you dont mind tearing into the trans.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Dude, you must not like your wife to put an ATS timebomb in her truck. Just sayin.

Actually, I made that exact joke when a buddy asked me if I was gonna swap it in there.

I told him "hell no, I bought her that for reliability..."

But, I don't feel like spending another 10k on transmissions.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Go grab a ATSG manual and go for it!

Telling ya, these trannys are a sinch.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Yeah, the last engine I put together had issues lol.

Dunno if a trans would work out much better for me.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
It's an option though I recon... Swap all the guts except the pump and SB huh?

DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I was asked the opposite yesterday. This is what would be required.

Front pump swapped.
Solenoid pack swapped
Shift selector arm swapped

Jody