Changing to 2011 Leaf Springs on my 2005

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
About a year ago I did the 08+ leaf spring conversion on my truck, with great results. For those of you that have questions about that, here is the install thread from when I did it:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/su...nally-doing-my-08-leaf-spring-conversion.html

I've been reading some about the improved ride quality of the 2011 leaf springs. Here is an article I found about the 2011's:

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2009/09/first-look-2011-ford-fseries-super-duty.html

In the article it sais:

The suspension has been tuned up, too. The shocks have new internal valve settings and the spring rates have been adjusted for better ride comfort. In 2008, Ford introduced its 3-plus-1 spring pack for both the diesel and gas trucks but the 2011 model SD pickups with diesel engines are setup with a new 2-plus-1 kit. Brewer said the 2-plus-1 setup reduces some of the spring binding from friction that drivers felt as a secondary impact after hitting road bumps. It also saves weight for improved fuel economy.

I've been looking for a set, and finally came across a deal on a set to try out. Found a 2011 F250 with very low miles, that had a dash fire.

burned.jpg

burned2.jpg

Got them in today. There is definitely a weight difference. The 2011's have 3 leafs where the 2008's I have are 4-leafs each. Here are a couple of pics of the 2011 springs after UPS dropped them off today:

6e2aad20.jpg

867b362c.jpg

Will probably be the weekend before I get them switched out, but I'll update when I do.

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
Well as another member (new2deisel) pointed out, the UBolt setup on the 2011's is different. The UBolts point down instead of up. Here is a picture of the new UBolt/Block setup on the 2011 springs.:

97c5035c.jpg

c6ca3e15.jpg

In this one you can see the plate that goes on top of the leaf springs that has the seats for the UBolts to sit in:

d9b4736f.jpg

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
Haven't gotten them changed yet. I need to remove my factory hangers. I left them on with the 08 Leaf Springs because they didn't interfere with anything. But with the 2011 springs, the band that holds the leafs together will hit on the factory hanger, so I need to take them off (6 rivets on each hanger!!!)

Here is a picture of the factory hangers still in place with the 2008 Leaf Springs:

0d48b1b5.jpg

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Glad you brought this over, i dont go over to the other site much but was to follow this. Cant wait to hear how this goes for you.

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
No progress yet, was gone to the beach all weekend lol. But since I have to remove the factory hangers before I can put the 2011 springs on, it did give me a good excuse to buy a new Snap On air hammer!!!

ScreenShot2011-07-25at104214AM.png

ScreenShot2011-07-25at104218AM.png

Last edited:

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
Air Hammer made it in, Decided it was time to buy a new compressor. Picked up a Ingersoll Rand 60 Gal. Got a smokin deal on it!! I'm going to get it all plumbed today, then I'll be ready to start chiseling some rivets!!

2951ea0a.png

ae238c1d.png

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
Ok I finally got the new compressor wired and plumbed. Decide to start working on the new springs today, even though it was like 300 degrees outside!!

I decided to start on the Drivers side since its the hardest, do to dropping the fuel tank, . Keep in mind I am swapping out my conversion brackets too for some new ones, other wise it would just be a matter of taking one spring off and putting the new one on. As mentioned above I also had to remove my factory hangers that were still on there. This is because of where the band around the 2011 springs is located. It would hit on the factory hangers if I left them on. The 2008 springs had the band further back on the spring so it didn't interfere with the hanger. Pulled the leaf spring off and out of the way. So I put the new Snapon Air Hammer (pictured above) to work and this thing is AWESOME!!!! I put the flat chisel tip on and chiseled the head off of the rivet, which took all of about 15 seconds. Then once the head was off the rivet, I switched to the pointed tip and popped the rivet through the other side of the frame. Words cannot explain how easy this tool made the job. Keep in mind, a few of the rivets will have to be replaced with bolts because they support a cross member. I'll probably just go ahead and put bolts in all the holes.

Take some pics if you don't mind of the 2008 leafs vs the 2011 ones. :thumb:

OK Joe, I snapped a few pictures for you of the 2008 springs next to the 2011 springs

2011 on the left, 2008 on the right:

b4d15c58.jpg

7b48bd90.jpg

Here's a closeup that shows the different UBolt mount on the 2011 springs:

cbbb9e20.jpg

Next it was just a matter of removing the Conversion hanger, replacing it with the new one, and putting the new leaf spring in place. I didn't get any pictures, it was getting late and I was getting tired. I'll get some in the morning when I go to work on the passenger side.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
they are both f-250 springs? what is the difference in spring thickness? hard to tell from the pics. just wondering. the weight rating of the two springs are the same?

NotStock

Reaction score
I thought the new springs would bolt into your 08 conversion hangers?

Yes, they will bolt into the conversion hangers. What has been determined is that if the conversion hangers are used with '08-10 springs, the factory front spring hanger can be left intact. If '11 springs are used, it must be removed because of clearance concerns on the front spring wrap.

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
The new springs will bolt right in. Anything 2008 or newer will work. I had the first set of the conversion hangers that Trevor built. I looked all over for them when I first decided to do the conversion, and had no luck finding them. I finally got hooked up with Trevor and he designed them and built them. Mine was the initial set sent out, and needed a couple of tweaks. So he made me another set, identical to the ones he has for sale now. I never have had a chance to put them on until now. Which I'm glad I waited because I came across these 2011 Leaf Springs.

BigRed97

Reaction score
Yes, they will bolt into the conversion hangers. What has been determined is that if the conversion hangers are used with '08-10 springs, the factory front spring hanger can be left intact. If '11 springs are used, it must be removed because of clearance concerns on the front spring wrap.

I had to cut my stock hangers out with 08 springs for the same reason the 11s dont clear....maybe different spring codes have different wrap locations?