More problems with the 450...

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
So sense I got to Detroit ice only driven the truck once. On the way up here it did fine for the 20 hour trip other than the AC not working. I took it out yesterday for a drive down to the river to look around and everything seemed to be working fine other than the AC which is normal, it hasn't worked all summer and I haven't had time to fix it.

Well today we had a bad storm blow in and kill the power to the hotel were staying in. When my computer died I figured I would take the truck for a drive and let my phone charge sense the power is still out. When I got in the truck I noticed my radio was powered up and that caught my attention but the batteries weren't dead so I continued on with my plans. As soon as I pulled out of the hotel parking lot the first thing I noticed was the speedometer wasn't working, and that made my blood start to boil, as if the hot humid air hadn't already done so.

So my question tonight while I lay in this sauna of a hotel room is... Why does the power to the accessories inside the cab (radio, windows, power locks extra) stay on when the key is off, out of the ignition switch, and the door is open stay on? I had to unhook the batteries to avoid dead batteries tomorrow.

I assume the speedometer not working is due to the wheel speed sensor, which I will be changing when I get off work tomorrow. Sorry for the long post guys but I am no electrician and suck at finding wiring issues. And I'm also bored and can't sleep in this 90° room. I hope y'all are having a good night and I look forward to your help and answers.

God Bless

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
ignition is shot scotty..... did you try wiggling the ignition key around in the off position to see if it killed it all?

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Scotty, I know this sounds elementary, but pull every single fuse and check it over. In cab and under the hood. It sounds stupid but I've seen weirder stuff happen.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Sounds like a relay(s) is sticking? Maybe gauge cluster relay? Using the owners manual you may be able to iisolate the relays and fuses that correspond to the issues you are having.

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys... When I get off work ill start chasing. If its the ignition I'll have to take it in, I have a very limited supply of tools

Arisley

Reaction score
I am suspecting the the GEM got wet. That or the fuse box, since all this started when the rain did. Check for water contamination on the under dash fuse box.

Arisley

Reaction score
It is mounted on the top of the under dash fuse box. Water likes to leak in, either from the lower corner of the windshield, or from a clearance light and run down the a pillar. Drips right on the fuse box and GEM.

DcMoore

Reaction score
The problem is exactly what Andy said.. Either your cab lights(if you have them) leaked or your windshield did.. Big Bore, the GEM is located directly above the fuse box.

Charles

Reaction score
The problem is exactly what Andy said.. Either your cab lights(if you have them) leaked or your windshield did.. Big Bore, the GEM is located directly above the fuse box.

As in..... attached to it for anyone actually wanting to find it. For all intents and purposes... it's IS the under-dash fuse block. It comes free from the fuseblock and is a separate component but it is literally mounted to the fuseblock, right on top. Not above it.... ON it.

A person looking "above" the fuseblock might never realize the GEM is actually that module ON the fuseblock with the two smaller harness plugs in it.

Just clarifying as a person that just happened upon the GEM with my dash apart a while back. Never having seen it before I realized this was because nobody had ever stated the simple fact that it's a PART OF the fuse block, not some completely separate component located elsewhere.

Does anyone have a picture of one so that people never having seen it don't go tearing into the area where the lights and instrument cluster are located thinking the GEM is above the fuseblock?

For the record.... the GEM is attached to the topside of the fuseblock for anyone who cares.

Arisley

Reaction score
Absolutely correct Charles, I never realized how confusing that could end up.

It is probably one of the most confusing pieces of electronic pieces I have ever seen. Everything goes through there, and if it messes up, you get all kind of weird symptoms.

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
Thanks again for the help guys. And thank you Charlie for the detailed description of where the GEM is. I guess I have a leak by a cab light if this ends up being the problem

Arisley

Reaction score
I had a bad gasket in one. It only leaked when it rained really, really hard. Luckily, I caught it before it did any damage.

Reaction score
Hope you get it all figured out Scotty. If you need a hand let me know since I will be back in town on Thursday. If you get bored this weekend get ahold of me, I will be out on the lake.

DcMoore

Reaction score
Wow nobody has ever pointed it out for me that well... THANKS BUD! I'm pretty sure directly above the fuse box would of worked. But yes it is connected to the fuse box just in case Charles didn't get the point across.

Latest posts

Members online