2wd to 4wd 4R100 question

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Since I dont see a transmission specific section I figured here would be a good place to ask. Is it possible to swap a 2wd 4R100 and a 4wd 4R100 if you have both? If so, what needs to be swapped off each and what steps should a person take? Any info is appreciated, Thanks!

RedSmokey

Reaction score
The extension housing and the output shaft are the only two parts that are different.

Tailhousing and output shaft. As well, the driveline length

Are these parts interchangable? So if I had both a 2wd trans and 4wd trans side by side would I be able to swap these parts and they bolt right up, not needing any extra parts?

(And I understand its not just a few bolts, but I mean I wont have to go buy any new parts or get anything machined...?)

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
You can just swap those two parts and you're ready to go.

When tearing down and rebuilding a transmission there are some end clearances that have to be measured if you want the trans to last. There are selectable thickness washers used to get the proper end clearances. By just changing the output shaft it should go back together with the same washers, but it might not. You may have too much or not enough clearance and will have to change the washers. Any trans shop would have them, and they are very cheap.

Latest posts

Members online