Is a GTX worth the extra coin?

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Yep. Upgraded from the junkyard gt4294 to a GTX4294! One question. Was it worth it? If anybody is interested I would be glad to share whether or not it was.

I went from....
64647375_photobucket_44476_.jpg

To......
photobucket-5344-1311141418496.jpg

I also went from a .98 turbine housing to a 1.12 so if lag is less then that will really give a big plus to the gtx!

P.s. The difference in price is this- I have $780 (retail $1,100) in the journal bearing turbo counting the rebuild, turbine housing, new compressor wheel, and turbo itself. The GTX retails for $2,808. This thing better be awesome! LOL

Last edited:

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
At work right now. Gotta pay for it! Lol!

By the way I want to thank Jake at Irate Diesel Performance for hooking me up with it. I need the truck running by Saturday for a trip to Colorado. I ordered it Friday (22nd) and got it yesterday (26th)!!! That's 4 days including the weekend! Also for a great price!!

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
vander,

Do not forget to install a plug or your fitting and boost hose into that port on the comp housing. On the new comp housing it does not come by default. I can see the open port in your pic of it right next to the blue paint dot @ about 2 oclock

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
Are you hooking up the water for it as well? You are going to like the spool up.

Suns_PSD

Reaction score
What are my options for upgrading my turbo wheel on my GT4202R? I want more boost, sooner.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
To me, running it without hooking up the water isn't even an option. I'll definitely hook it up.

I doubt anybody wants the old one! Lol! Its spewing oil now!

Suns- is that serious or facetious?

Suns_PSD

Reaction score
Suns- is that serious or facetious?

No sir, I'm being completely serious.

I have a huge T6 housing type turbo and I have the tightest turbine housing available on it right now. At 70mph on flat ground I get less than 5#psi and it's not enough for my usually lightly loaded conditions.

I feel that my mpg would actually improve if I had more boost sooner.

I've heard guys mentiona company called Precision (I think) that sells a bolt on billet wheel that is significantly better? Any advise is appreciated.

I called my turbo guy about upgrading to the X but it was a lot of $. He told me he doesn't think it would be worth the $1700 or whatever.

Thanks.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Well the t6 could definitely be a lag issue. Precision turbo & engine is where my t4 turbine housing is from. Their billet wheel upgrade is like $1100 I believe. I have 0 boost cruising too. That's just the way it is. I would bet a housing swap would help.

Yes I tow a lot.

Suns_PSD

Reaction score
It really isn't bad at all it's just not 100% ideal. My truck is a bit of a lightweight (stock it weighed 6440#) but even if I add 2K of bed payload the turbo response becomes absolutely perfect.

Really, the entire rig is set up very well for towing good heavy loads, which isn't something I even do!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Is that a tuning issue as well Suns? Or are you just having trouble acclerating once cruising at a set speed? If you kicked to o/d off wouldnt the boost come up with rpms?

I may not be getting the point. Like I said, I think the heat is getting to me this summer Ive been having trouble comprehending/conveying thoughts. Please excuse me if this is the case.

Suns_PSD

Reaction score
Programming really is dialed, and the truck drives freakin' fantastic. It accelerates like a banshee even from a light roll on at low RPM even at highway speeds.

I just want more accleration and ZERO smoke. Right now I get a haze.

Matt made it downshift at pretty light throttle settings which really helped me stay on top of the turbo at all times.

Reaction score
What are my options for upgrading my turbo wheel on my GT4202R? I want more boost, sooner.

As far as I know, you cannot do the upgrade to your current turbo. So, you'd have to buy a new GTX4202 and sell your current turbo. Those turbos are pretty dang expensive. I'd go the Precision route. I wonder if Powerstrokejunkie ever sold his Precision billet GT4202???? http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
I bet a little tighter housing might help. Provided egts aren't an issue of course. I'm not an expert though so maybe someone else can jump in.

Why couldn't he upgrade to the precision billet wheel? Its just a new compressor wheel and remachined compressor housing.