Beans Dyno and Chip comparisons on OBS 5 speed ... full Writeup

Neal 97 250

Reaction score
In a land far, far away and long, long ago, let’s say, oooh about 4 weeks ago. There was a thread started on another forum by one of the members. This person was sort of bashing Beans Dyno and the results they produce. He doubted that they produced accurate results and claimed that they can change the results of the dyno runs giving inaccurate readings. Many arguments ensued and the thread was all spun up. Well Bean saw this thread and posted a reply. He offered to any non-believer a chance for them to come to their shop and see for themselves how the dyno was operated and they could get on it and try it out. The original poster that started that thread refused the offer, why, I am not sure. But I offered to come to his shop and do some dyno runs and compare his results with the dyno I am going to get on at the end of July. That way we could do a direct comparison of dynos with the same truck and the same setup. Can it get any more accurate than that? While I was there I offered to run my two chips from other tuners and compare them to Beans tunes as well.
Well that whole thread turned into an arguing match and some member bashing as well. Needless to say it got deleted, but not before I made my offer and made plans to visit Beans and clear up some of this hoo-doo-voo-doo and rumors that are floating around. I was able to go visit Beans and do what we planned. They took all day with me and we really turned up some interesting information. I started another thread on that same forum so I could post the results. Luckily it has calmed down quite a bit from the original thread and we are able to publish some good results that I think many people may find interesting and hopefully useful. The thread was titled ‘Going to Beans Diesel Performance…. Dyno results page 3’. Below is what I posted up in the other forum:

Let me start with some background of my truck and some of the dyno runs I have done in the past.

My mods were 180cc single shot injectors with 80% nozzles, Modded H2e turbo, 6.0 intercooler, Modified Terminator HPOP.

DYNO run - I made some dyno runs on a dynojet dyno at the Riffraff event. I ran from 405 to 408 HP in my highest setting on my TW chip in the extreme setting. While at the event I was live tuned by DP and got to run those on the dyno also, I had runs as high as 413 HP in the 140 Extreme/Aggressive setting. Date was 8-8-2009

I decided it was time to add electric fuel. I installed an electric regulated return fuel system.

DYNO run - Later that year I went to Beans Diesel Performance for their December Dyno day. I got three passes on their Dyno Dynamics Dyno. I ran 411.1, 411.2, 411.3 HP. I ran these in the DP on the 140 setting again. Date was December 2009

Then I went on to put in a twin HPOP system to take care of my slacking ICP pressures and outrageous Duty cycle I was getting with those injectors. I also sent both my TW and DP chip back for reburns for the twin pump setup.

DYNO run - I returned back to the RiffRaff second annual event. I got back up on the Dynojet dyno again and ran both chips again. DP was run in the 140 setting again. TW was run in the Sled pull and the Extreme setting. The highest run I had was 415 - 418 HP with either chip. Date was 7-31-2010

So far both chips are within a couple of HP of each other and I ran both at different intervals in time. It just depended on what type of drivability I wanted. Both are very street able and good chips, No problems at all. My only problem was the fact that I could not break 420 HP with all of these mods and that bothered me because I thought the truck should be better (don't we always? ).

All I could think to do at this point was add more fuel and bigger nozzles. I mean I have plenty of fuel pressure, Plenty of HP oil, Plenty of air from the turbo. What else do I need?
So I ordered and installed some 225cc single shot injectors with 100% nozzles.

I spoke to one of the tuners I was presently using and we decided that since it was the same type of injector and that was the only modification I was doing at the time. It would be more time efficient to leave the tuning the same and update it later at a more convenient time.
The truck ran great with the new sticks. It had a bit better seat of the pants/butt dyno feel that it did. Especially in the daily tunes. The extreme and high settings were hard to tell a difference.

Then came along a thread here on FTE that stirred up a stinky pot of goo. To say the least.
Long story short, I went back to Beans Diesel Performance and was offered some free runs on their dyno. We all knew I am going to run on another Dyno in a couple of weeks at RiffRaff, so this would be a great comparison of the dynos and hopefully put to bed some of the myths and rumors floating out there.
While I was there, and since I own two chips, I decided to compare the chips again on the same dyno. (Up to this point I always ran the chips in the same highest setting and the results have always been similar.) After I compared the chips I decided to try some of Beans burns also. Now we have three chips on the same dyno to compare.
(*SPECIAL NOTE* Remember the TW and DP chips are tuned for 180cc sticks and the BDP tunes were set up for 225cc sticks. So this is not 100% equally fair for all tuners but it is in the ball park. I will get updates on the DP at the RiffRaff event and will then be able to fairly compare the DP chip to the BDP tunes. The TW chip will no longer exist from this point forward, all that is left is the records and fond memories of this fine tuner. RIP.)

Final DYNO runs
Since I pulled in there driving with the DP tunes installed we ran them on the dyno first. Then we installed the TW chip and ran it and logged the results of it as well. Then Jonathon started putting together some of his tunes for me.
The results for all of these is below. Please pay special attention to the results of the settings in which I have previously been running all of my dyno runs on. Also take note of which tune has the highest HP of each Tuner. Very interesting!

Results are given in the same order that they were run.

DP

80 Economy - 502 HP

100 Performance - 460 HP

120 Race - 438 HP

140 Extreme and Aggressive - 418 HP

60 Economy - 478 HP

TW

Street Race - 456

Extreme - 459

Sled Pull - 465

BDP

Hot "Dyno" Tune** - 521 HP

Hot smooth Tune - 517 HP

Daily Driver* - 480 HP

* indicates there is no chart for this run and it is based solely off of my memory.
** actually the highest reading was 521.9 HP but that chart was not printed

Below are copies of the dyno Runs at Beans. Please notice that the Max HP on the top of each page is not the actual highest HP. It is just the reading of the last run when the report was printed. You will have to read the graph to see the numbers that I posted.

The solid line is the HP read from the left side of the chart and the dotted line is the Torque read from the right side of the chart. The RPM's are read from the bottom side of the chart.

View attachment Dyno July 2011 Beans0001[1].pdf

View attachment Dyno July 2011 Beans0002[1].pdf

View attachment Dyno July 2011 Beans0003[1].pdf

View attachment Dyno July 2011 Beans0004[1].pdf

More info coming later from the other dyno. Stay tuned.

Dynos used:
Dynojet 248 (Good Motorsports)
Dyno Dynamics (Beans)

Strokersace

Reaction score
Very interesting indeed Mr. Neal!!

502 on DP's 80Econ tune??? And I find it VERY interesting that your peak hp went down with a higher setting on that chip. Weird. What do you know though, only 5 hp more on Beans dyno in the extreme setting than before!?!

Very solid numbers and look forward to hearing what you get in a couple of weeks.

rat49f6

Reaction score
Yeah man me too but got way deeper into our than I planned...i was hoping to dyno too maybe be right around the same hp numbers as u...guess we will find out next year

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Cota

Reaction score
Seems like there are too many variables to make any good comparisons.
That said I am really interested in seeing what you find after you get the correct tuning for your injectors from DP.
Then you can compare tuning on Beans dyno to see what you have for tuning differences then run the same tunes on another dyno to see what differences you have between dynos.
I think the question about Beans dyno is it seems to show higher HP than other dyno's and I've wondered is it the dyno or the tuning?
Again, can't wait to see your findings after getting proper tuning from DP.

rat49f6

Reaction score
Be careful it might just beat u down the 1/8 th mile

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online