transfer case conversion

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
I swapped mine out from the electric shift to a manual shift. My truck is an early 99 with an auto. The t-case bolts right up as long as its from a truck with the same trans as yours, the ZF6 t-case's have a different input shaft than the auto's. Both drive shafts bolted up. The hole in the floor for the shifter is already there you just have to pull the carpet up and remove the plate that Ford installs over the hole. This plate has some kinda body glue holding it there along with four screws and is a royal pain to get off. I just cut my carpet rather than change it all out.

As for the wiring I did everything I could and it was all plug and play. I swapped the entire transmission harness out and by doing so my dash lights still work for "4x4" & "low range". I also took my truck to a friend at a Ford dealer and had the GEM module reprogrammed so it no longer throws codes for shift motor and relay failures. The last step was removing all the air lines to the front hubs and capping off the supply line on the passenger fender liner. I also took off the ESOF solenoid.

I guarantee anyone that looks at my truck now would never know it originally had the electric shift crap.

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
It started not wanting to come out of low range and I didn't really feel like having it stick there. Granted I could have just pulled the motor off the t-case and switch it by hand if it ever did stick for good but I prefer the lever on the floor.

Latest posts

Members online