Racer x transmissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Anybody run one of these? I know BTS is the standard for 4r100 performance but these guys machine their own shafts and make their own clutch kits and tq conv's.

Anybody used one of their custom, built-to-order units? They seem to be eager to build me one.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Anybody run one of these? I know BTS is the standard for 4r100 performance but these guys machine their own shafts and make their own clutch kits and tq conv's.

Anybody used one of their custom, built-to-order units? They seem to be eager to build me one.

Well of course they're eager, business is business. Just because They make their own stuff dont mean its good.

But to answer your question, no i havent

TyCorr

Reaction score
Is the warranty comparable to bts?

It says 2 years on their website. Im not sure if customs get a better or the same warranty. I gave them my information and my immediately planned mods/hp target and they are going to figure up the correct parts and call me back with a quote to build and ship the trans.

Tom S

Reaction score
Very interested to see your posts once you get it if you go that way.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
He's a heck of a nice guy to talk to. When I needed a rebuild, I was gonna get his kit, but i couldn't afford to have the truck down long enough for me to do the work. So I went with BTS.
Heck of a nice guy on the phone. I needed a seal if nothing else to limp it along, and he offered to deliver it in person on his way sorta past me going to a show/meeting.
I wouldn't hesitate to use one he built just from my impressions on the phone. IIRC he did a transmission for a really strong PSD that pulls (I think) with nitrous and it's holding well last I heard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ5vZOUfYjk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im assuming the warranty will be exclusive to my truck and as long as I dont add more power than I claim Im going to. They kind of alluded that there is a build for trucks with aftermarket inj, turbo, and intended usage of racing or pulling. I wish I knew more about them personally. Nobody that has one has chimed in and said "dont do it".

I figure that 600hp is going to be my ceiling and Ill 'try' no to blow 'er up. No laughing gas intended. Just maybe some boost juice. Truthfully I want a truck that is more powerful than the new ones out there and a little to spare. I want to be able to drive it all the time though.

I will keep people posted with as much info as I can.

Sorry, if they arent a sponsor! I guess bts isnt either. My apology stands.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
BTS builds basically one trans for any and all. One price whether you need it or not.
RacerX will custom build what you actually need based on how you use the truck.

I've talked with more than one trans guy that can't understand how a trans builder will build and sell 1 trans to fit all needs with one off-the-shelf converter.

Not knocking BTS, who can, really? I've had mine for over 7 years.
Just saying there are good options out there. I'd try RacerX with no hesitation if I needed another trans.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I just believe that somebody else out there can build a trans that will hold 600hp besides bts. I know JW automotive does it but Im pretty sure there tranny's cost thousands more. I sent a request for a price to racer x last night and will go from there. I have heard good and bad about all the builders. I HAVE to do something so its gonna boil down to who will take the time to help me.

Cary, obswiz, has been really helpful in trying to get me setup. I just might take his offer, who knows.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Just answered some final questions about my current problems and what I plan to add in the future.

Once the trans is done:

studs
valve springs
reg return and new fuel lines/tank mods
Srp 1
300/200%
gate the 38r until I can come up with a plan for a second charger

Then, burn some really expensive rubber!

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
BTS builds basically one trans for any and all. One price whether you need it or not.
RacerX will custom build what you actually need based on how you use the truck.

I've talked with more than one trans guy that can't understand how a trans builder will build and sell 1 trans to fit all needs with one off-the-shelf converter.

Not knocking BTS, who can, really? I've had mine for over 7 years.
Just saying there are good options out there. I'd try RacerX with no hesitation if I needed another trans.

Not a 100% sure but i think he has the tq converter built to his specifications.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Not a 100% sure but i think he has the tq converter built to his specifications.

If you are talking about BTS, then i beloieve you are correct. IIRC it is not an off the shelf TC.

If i was the OP, i would be looking at JW or BTS IMO. I have heard decent things about RacerX and you probably wont go wrong with their product either, but BTS and JW would be #s 1 and 2

Status
Not open for further replies.