Towing power

Spindrift

Reaction score
I've heard from more than one person that you're not going to make big power with the 6.7L On the other hand, it makes an absolutely awesome tow vehicle. Assuming all of that is correct, what is it about the design of the 6.7 that makes it such a great tow rig. I think I'm ready to make the move.

RedRice589

Reaction score
Oh my goodness I can't say enough good over my 6.4. It rarely lugs it stays in the power band and I can tow heavy all day and it doesn't blink!! Truck is phenomenal!! Only complaint is the small fuel tank on the ccsb!!

Short Bus

Reaction score
Oh my goodness I can't say enough good over my 6.4. It rarely lugs it stays in the power band and I can tow heavy all day and it doesn't blink!! Truck is phenomenal!! Only complaint is the small fuel tank on the ccsb!!

Yeah I'm not real fond of the tiny tank but a transfer flow is a cheap solution to that.

motomx131

Reaction score
Mine tows like a champ! The only complaint is the small fuel tank

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yeah there are some simple things that ford definatly paid attention too

first off is the 6 speed, deeper overal over drive, first overdrive isnt quiet as deap as say a 4r or 5r. You get a lower first gear so taking off is much easier fully loaded, all this allows you to run a 3.55 gear with a big tire no problem, even towing.

The biggest part is the actual transmission tuning it self

Torque converter locks as early as 25mph, it stays locked almost all the time, each shift it does unlock for a second and then relocks, sounds like a bad idea but it almost acts as a splitter between gears, its awesome. you never get that dodge or even 6.0-6.4 thing where you are making a bunch of rpm but not really accelerating, with a 6.7 all you do is pull, its amazing the on ramp speed you can get merging into heavy traffic fully loaded, i often pull gaps on cars getting on the highway with my camper.

they are also much better about downshifting and engine braking, almost to the point where if you arent towing more than 10k you really dont need the tow haul mode, its almost too much.

my truck has 12.5k miles on it and 4500 of that is with a trailer so far, love it every time i tow

Only two complaints is

rear is a little soft, so leveled you need to either run an air bag or timbren helper spring to the rear (timbrens have been working really well for me) if you are stock height its probably no issue

small fuel tank on the ccsb does suck, they claim its a 26 gallon tank but its really only about 21 gallons usable with the distance to empty on the dash, im going to do something about that eventually just havent figured it out.

Best truck i have ever owned, set the cruise and forget it, so freakin quiet even if it does down shift you wouldnt know unless you watch the tach, rides sooth, creature comforts are good, seats are upgraded from previous models, all and all i cant say much bad about the 6.7

DEF if you decide to leave it stock i have only added 2 times and that was 6000 miles each time, cost me 22 bucks both times.

CWAY6.7

Reaction score
I think my rclb 6.7 250 has a smaller fuel tank than everyone elses? I could be wrong though but hey Im not complaining. May go bigger in future if its even possible on single cabs

Motostroker

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373945201.964073.jpg

As you can tell, it squats a little. But it pulled this load 6th gear no problem. It never hunted gears, downshifted, or anything. I set the cruise at 70 and it rolled out!

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
View attachment 18891

As you can tell, it squats a little. But it pulled this load 6th gear no problem. It never hunted gears, downshifted, or anything. I set the cruise at 70 and it rolled out!

those springs are just so long now.. its nature of the beast for sure. bags will fix that on the cheap.

Last edited:

Short Bus

Reaction score
I added a road master active suspension setup on mine at the recommendation of a few locals. I have not towed yet but it has noticeably less body role on curves so its doing something.

cory151

Reaction score

I second this Ive never been in a truck that towed like my 6.4, In fact it just completed another cross country haul as described here.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38082

Short Bus

Reaction score
Just pulled my 29' king of the road 60 miles to the lake and I'm impressed. Set the cruise at 67 and forgot about it being back there.

CDUBYA

Reaction score
Hmmm, i agree mine tows well also, but i do have a problem. While towing my 5xxx lb boat up to the lake, twice now. i go up some fairly aggressive climbs, each time i have towed my coolant temp has been about 222F which is high to me, is this normal? My mini max begins to defuel at 221. then i am going up the canyon about 50 MPH rather than the 65 MPH i would like to be doing.
Do any of you notice your trucks getting hot fairly quickly. I never had this issue with my 6.4

Last edited:

Motostroker

Reaction score
I question the temps also. But since mine is under warranty, I'll keep driving it until something happens. It will be fords problem