6.4 to 5.9 common rail swap cost?

Reaction score
Just trying to find options for my truck. If the motor doesn't get replaced under warranty, I'm not so sure I want to spend the several thousands of dollars to replace the 6.4 Considered making it a fummins, but was seeing if anybody with knowledge on the subject had insight. Plan would be to keep the 5r behind it as its been trouble free. Any input is much appreciated

JMart

Reaction score
Just trying to find options for my truck. If the motor doesn't get replaced under warranty, I'm not so sure I want to spend the several thousands of dollars to replace the 6.4 Considered making it a fummins, but was seeing if anybody with knowledge on the subject had insight. Plan would be to keep the 5r behind it as its been trouble free. Any input is much appreciated

Its probably not going to be cheaper to do a swap. Unless you can do the work yourself and can fab up most of the parts you need.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
It won't be cheaper and you won't be happy. The guys I've talked to that have done the swap say they would never do it again and wish they would've never done it. A cummins swap ain't all what it's cracked up to be.

co04cobra

Reaction score
To do a cr swap and get it right will run in the ballpark of a 20k.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I was just interested to see if it would cost any less. Best case scenario is to put another 6.4 in it. The Cummins idea was a thought to potentially cut down on a large repair bill

Yeah. You'll never sell it with a 12v in it. People are over loud, smokey and laggy. Put another 6.4 in it and dump it. Get yourself a '94 12v with 430k miles for 2-3k. Have fun

swinky

Reaction score
Buy a used 6.4, buy buddies beer and pizza to help with install and be happy you don't have a cummings. Even paying someone to install I think it could be done for around 6-7k

co04cobra

Reaction score
You should be able to put a 6.4 back in for 10k or less. With a cummins installed it will also hurt retail value by close to 30%.

On a side note to my last post I would NEVER do a cummins swap. I'd convert it to a 5.4 first. Jmo.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
You wont be able to to run the 5R behind the cummings. The TCM doenst play well with the Dodge PCM. In order to build a cummings that has the same power potential as a 6.4 you will be looking at a fairly hefty parts upgrade bill. Mine was over 38K for a little more hp then what a 6.4 makes on tune alone.

Find a runner from a autobody special and throw it in, or bite the bullet and get a short block from a vendor here. Thats what I would do having been down this road before.

08-10 swaps are not straight forward. Lots of electrical issues to over come in order to get everything to work like factory.

Last edited:

01PSD

Reaction score
You wont be able to to run the 5R behind the cummings. The TCM doenst play well with the Dodge PCM. In order to build a cummings that has the same power potential as a 6.4 you will be looking at a fairly hefty parts upgrade bill. Mine was over 38K for a little more hp then what a 6.4 makes on tune alone.

Find a runner from a autobody special and throw it in, or bit the bullet and get a short block from a vendor here. Thats what I would do having been down this road before.

08-10 swaps are not straight forward. Lots of electrical issues to over come in order to get everything to work like factory.

Dear Lord!

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Built allison, new fuel system, nozzles, compounds, 12v rods, '5.5 CR rebuild, adaptor plates, electrical mods, labor, +, +, +....

The only benefit of a swap is options for upgrades. The 5.9 is the 350sbc of the diesel world.

swinky

Reaction score
Built allison, new fuel system, nozzles, compounds, 12v rods, '5.5 CR rebuild, adaptor plates, electrical mods, labor, +, +, +....

The only benefit of a swap is options for upgrades. The 5.9 is the 350sbc of the diesel world.

Allison? Why would you do that?

Latest posts

Members online