Harmonic balancer bolt?

BigRedDiesel

Reaction score
Ups has my fluidampr scheduled for delivery tomorrow morning. I was going to pull the old balancer off tonight and maybe put the Melling LPOP on. It a race against the clock at this point, but are there any tricks to getting the bolt to break loose? I just keep turning the crank....

caladash

Reaction score
Gonna have to get a flywheel holder to keep the motor from turning!! The torque on there is well over 100 ftlbs I believe! I do not recommend a screwdriver or something along those lines!!!!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Hey, BigRed, be sure to report back and tell us how it feels. I like the idea of it myself.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Just get a breaker bar with a socket, put it on there and brace it on the frame and start the motor over, that will do it! :poke: Sorry i couldnt resist, one of my mechanics here told me he hade a guy do that at the Auto Hobby shop he works at back at his base!!!

Arisley

Reaction score
Glad you got it off. I have used a big old prybar on the flywheel to hold it before. Usually if you can get an impact on there, it will do it fine.

BigRedDiesel

Reaction score
Well I knew things were going too smooth. I got everything off, new pump on and Fluidampr in place and the bolt won't thread into the crank. I must have screwed the threads up when I was pulling the balancer..... Ordered a tap it will be in tomorrow. I hope this works.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Jesus, its always something isnt it? Everytime I replace something on my truck I run into little problems like that. I had to get thread chasers the last time I replaced my starter because for whatever reason the damn bolts didnt wanna go in :doh:

Calico5

Reaction score
Glad you got it off. I have used a big old prybar on the flywheel to hold it before. Usually if you can get an impact on there, it will do it fine.

:whs:

A decent impact will generally get 'em off, even without holding the flywheel. Just have to get the fan shroud outa the way...

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score
Anyone know what size threads are IN the balancer? I cant seem to get any bolts to thread into the balancer so i can pull it.

For holding the crank from spining i just put a 3/8" wrench on one of the clutch bolts and let it hit the bell housing, that held it

BigRedDiesel

Reaction score
When it rains it pours! It could be raining p---y and I would get hit with a d--k. It is now day three of trying to install a LPOP and dampener. I threw in the towel and called someone to come fix this mess I've gotten myself into. I think part of the problem is I'm not a mechanic and refuse to admit it most of the time. All of this because I didn't know what the those effing little things were that came in the balancer puller kit. I can tell you know it for not screwing up the threads in the snout of the crank. Experience is usually gained about two seconds after needing it! The guys that came said no big deal so let cross my fingers and hope for the best. Need to leave for Tenn. Thursday morning.

Here is carnage....
photobucket-4264-1311387683023.png

Tom S

Reaction score
Female threads are often stronger then male threads so do not freak just yet.

rusty1161

Reaction score
When it rains it pours! It could be raining p---y and I would get hit with a d--k. It is now day three of trying to install a LPOP and dampener. I threw in the towel and called someone to come fix this mess I've gotten myself into. I think part of the problem is I'm not a mechanic and refuse to admit it most of the time. All of this because I didn't know what the those effing little things were that came in the balancer puller kit. I can tell you know it for not screwing up the threads in the snout of the crank. Experience is usually gained about two seconds after needing it! The guys that came said no big deal so let cross my fingers and hope for the best. Need to leave for Tenn. Thursday morning.

Here is carnage....
photobucket-4264-1311387683023.png

Can you help me out and tell me what size this bolt is? I want to get a longer one for my Fluidampr install.

Thank you.

Rusty

Cota

Reaction score
When I put my fluid damper on I found the stock bolt was too short to get the balancer started. Got a longer bolt to get it started on and then the stock bolt was tightened to spec.

zarrinvz24

Reaction score
I just finished an install on this today and despite looking everywhere couldn't find the correct bolt size in any of the forums I frequent; sorry to bring a thread back from the grave but I wanted to 'pay it forward' for the next guy.

The bolt you are looking for is a M16-2.0x90mm. That and the large washer will get it started and pulled on far enough for the factory bolt to be put in to finish the install. Remember to torque to 212 lb/ft.

Latest posts

Members online