E4OD SHORT SHIFTING

TURTLE

Reaction score
Last night I went out and drove the truck and it drove great shifted awsome. Got on it a few times and it shifted fine. Went out this morning and on my way to work realized it prematurely shifts and luggs the engine down. The CEL flickered a couple times. It never idled down or died just prematurely shifted. Once on the highway it shifted fine and downshifts fine. Got off the highway and it shifted fine for like one light then started doing it again.... Tuning?TPS?MAP? some sort of pressure issue? Thanks.

Tom S

Reaction score
I think I would be happy it set the check engine light just for the hope of the stored codes being helpfull. This is a total shot in the dark but could it be the range selector switch???? Maybe PM Mark Kovalski to look at this thread.

TURTLE

Reaction score
I think I would be happy it set the check engine light just for the hope of the stored codes being helpfull. This is a total shot in the dark but could it be the range selector switch???? Maybe PM Mark Kovalski to look at this thread.

I will do that. Can you elaborate on the range selector switch? Is that as in the HI LOW range? Thanks for the input. Im trying to figure out where I can scan it.

TURTLE

Reaction score
I was doing some reading and saw that bad loping/rough idle could be a symptom of this going bad. Ever since I installed new stage 2's last week it has been really lopy at first start. I thought it was just new injector symptoms and it would go away but it hasnt and its been almost two weeks now. Maybe this could be the problem.....

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
He is signed up as Mark Kovalsky
Because that's my name!

It isn't the range sensor. If that were the problem it wouldn't shift. The flickering check engine light is a clue. It could be the PCM resetting, or it could be storing codes. You need to get the codes read by someone with a Ford specific scan tool so if there are transmission codes you'll get them.

TURTLE

Reaction score
Because that's my name!

It isn't the range sensor. If that were the problem it wouldn't shift. The flickering check engine light is a clue. It could be the PCM resetting, or it could be storing codes. You need to get the codes read by someone with a Ford specific scan tool so if there are transmission codes you'll get them.

It stopped doing it and is fine now. In the mean time Im looking for a scan tool that will read the codes. Thanks guys Ill let you know what I find out.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Because that's my name!

Mark what would the trans be doing if his convertor was going?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
If the converter is going there are different things that can happen. It can stop moving if the converter is totally gone. It can be really sluggish off the line if the stator or one way clutch has failed. Or it can shudder when it locks from a damaged converter clutch.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If the converter is going there are different things that can happen. It can stop moving if the converter is totally gone. It can be really sluggish off the line if the stator or one way clutch has failed. Or it can shudder when it locks from a damaged converter clutch.

In the thread on the 'other' site I was asking you questions about diagnosing a bad convertor/trans under the name TylerDurden and all the things you just described have happened except for the truck hasnt stopped moving completely but darn close. The shudder after the conv locks hits home the most. It bangs and shudders when the conv locks.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thanks Mark! I think Im seeing multiple component failure in my trans but Ill get it rebuilt and beefed up. It sure is nice having you around here as you can probably picture what is happening in each instance described to you. These slushboxes are like your children.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.