Which Intercooler

Countryboy07

Reaction score
Well guys, I am new to the OBS world and need to add an intercooler to my project truck. The truck is receiving a 24V cummins motor to replace the stock 7.3 motor and will be getting some upgrades while I'm at it. My question is, what intercooler are you guys running in these trucks? It doesn't seem that there is much room for a good sized intercooler in there.... The intercooler will have to have metal end tanks as the truck will eventually have a large single or twins on it when I get the P-pump installed, but for now, it will be pretty mild, 450-500 horse.

I looked at the new issue of DP and saw Rocky is running a Hypermax intercooler, but was wondering what everybody else is running. Sorry for the long post and thank you for your help!

-French

Tom S

Reaction score
Rocky has not just the Hypermax but the taper core version as I recall. Alan Black also has one of those on his OBS with a conversion.

Countryboy07

Reaction score
I know the stock 6.0's intercoolers have plastic end tanks, but I was looking at the Mishimoto intercoolers when I had my 6.0 still. Idk what I'm going to do yet, but I'd like an upgrade over the stock 24 V intercooler.

Aljay

Reaction score
7.3 cooler in mine , I need to take some pics .
Install is clean and everything works like stock ( safety latch, etc) !

Tom S

Reaction score
I installed a 6OH behind the condensor in a 97. The fit was tight but it works great[/QUOTE

It would have been nice to have photos of that. I can see going that route in Arizona.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
They 6.0s have plastic end tanks. The Superduty 7.3 has aluminum end tanks. I also have the 6.0 I/C but no install pics.

Not all year 7.3's have aluminum end tanks. I believe they switched to plastic end tanks in '01-'03

Rocky has not just the Hypermax but the taper core version as I recall. Alan Black also has one of those on his OBS with a conversion.

Richard Madson did the same thing in his truck. Hypermax Tapercore. Zane has one in the white OBS. Nice pieces. carry a hefty tag though

I wouldn't personally recommend anybody put a plastic end tank IC in any truck with anything more then a stock turbo...

Aljay

Reaction score
Not all year 7.3's have aluminum end tanks. I believe they switched to plastic end tanks in '01-'03

Richard Madson did the same thing in his truck. Hypermax Tapercore. Zane has one in the white OBS. Nice pieces. carry a hefty tag though

I wouldn't personally recommend anybody put a plastic end tank IC in any truck with anything more then a stock turbo...

:lookaround:

Poon

Reaction score
7.3 IC
2011-04-30151130.jpg

2011-04-30170845.jpg

2011-04-30170907.jpg

2011-04-30170916.jpg

Countryboy07

Reaction score
Does anybody know what kind of boost numbers these stock alum. 7.3 Intercoolers will take? I am planning on running the stock HX35 over a S475 in the near future...

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Does anybody know what kind of boost numbers these stock alum. 7.3 Intercoolers will take? I am planning on running the stock HX35 over a S475 in the near future...

Charles and dockboy are two guys that come to mind who are pushing a ton of boost through these things with no ruptures.

I've put 50+lbs through mine

Latest posts

Members online