A/C compressor clutch kicking in and out

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
Hey guys I am trying to figure out how to fix my A/C. It's only 100* outside so Id like to fix it soon LOL. When I fire up the truck the A/C compressor clutch is kicking in and out every 5 or 6 seconds. When it does this it is also making a pretty loud noise. I have heard that this could be from a freon leak? How can I trouble shoot this myself? Also is there a way to check the charge level of freon in the system? Thanks

zilla68

Reaction score
only way to check the charge is with gauges. I know on my 7.3 when I did the a/c system it kicked in and out very quickly until I got freon in it, so it sounds like you have a leak and low on freon now.
There is some freon with leak detector in it that you can see with a light, but without a sniffer (little machine to detect leaks) your kinda limited on what you can do.

03_PSD

Reaction score
mine did this a few months back, it was a loose electrical connection. cleaned it up and it works fine now. check all your connections just to eliminate them.

chappy

Reaction score
Sounds like the bearing or clutches are gone in it. Had a bearing lock up on a friends last week and you couldn't even turn the motor over it locked up so tight. couldn't even start the truck it was that tight. Had another friend a month ago lost the pulley and everything on the front of the compressor when the bearing lockd up and it broke the shaft. Blutches will throw a dust off usually around the compressor when they crap out and sound horrible also.

chappy

Reaction score
And its normal for it to kick in and out a lot when ever you have the heater,ac on. I think you are just noticing it because of the sound its making now.

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
Alright thanks guys. I borrowed a gauge setup from a friend and Im going to try and check the level and/or add more r134a. I might be able to get a leak detector if I do have a leak. If thats not it Ill have to look at the clutch.

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
Check your pressure. The a/c system has a pressure switch that is a safety for when you have a leak in the system. That is why your compressor is cycling. If you have never added freon to a system before you need to do your homework so you don't over pressure or you will have a very big problem. Use water with soap in a spray bottle to check for leaks.