Fuel filter bowl broke!!

Randy_270

Reaction score
So I decided to change my fuel filters myself today and I had a little surprise while doing so. I got all my stuff ready, got under the truck, put the breaker bar on the fuel filter bowl nut, give the nut a little torque to begin unscrewing it and SNAP! The nut breaks off and fuel comes dumping out of the filter splashing me and the area around my catch pan. Worst part is my truck is now stuck at work and I'm 3 hours away from the nearest Ford dealership. So tomorrow morning I'm going to give the closest dealership a call and hopefully I can get a new bowl sent out to me asap. Anyone else heard of these fuel bowl nuts snapping off?

Vinny07psd

Reaction score
Hell ya lots of times, never happened to me but I've heard it, people over torque them putting them on

ghohouston

Reaction score
When I worked in the ford shop of my company, I was one of two mechanics that never broke one. The key to it is to go slow, and you have to kind of judge by the length of the harness around where to stop (lining it up with the sensor). If youre going slow, you will actually feel the filter cap sort of "lock" if you will.

Randy_270

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. And I didnt even push hard when I snapped the nut, I just started to put pressure on it to loosen it and it went snap. I think I might buy a spare just for safety measures lol, always better to have and not need then need and not have.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. And I didnt even push hard when I snapped the nut, I just started to put pressure on it to loosen it and it went snap. I think I might buy a spare just for safety measures lol, always better to have and not need then need and not have.

Damn! I havent seen one snap upon removal, its always been going back together. That sucks

Mpoage

Reaction score
I broke the one on my old truck when I was putting it back on because it stopped but I didn't. I also broke one on another truck while I was unscrewing it. I've learned to put some grease on the inside of the cap and that helps going on and off when it comes time to change the filters again.

Randy_270

Reaction score
Thats kind of what I was thinking to do. Quick question for anyone, if I put my truck in neutral to push it out of our loading bay will my fuel pump turn on? I taped poly over the bowl so it hopefully doesnt fill up with dust.

Randy_270

Reaction score
You should be able to turn it to the first position and put it in neutral and not have the fuel pump run.

Big problem, truck wont let me shift into neutral with only one click. So would I would be able to quickly cycle my key into the run position, shift to neutral, and quickly cycle my key off?? Or would it start and continue to pour fuel out?? I really need to get my truck out of our loading bay at work.

Mpoage

Reaction score
Big problem, truck wont let me shift into neutral with only one click. So would I would be able to quickly cycle my key into the run position, shift to neutral, and quickly cycle my key off?? Or would it start and continue to pour fuel out?? I really need to get my truck out of our loading bay at work.

The fuel pump is only turned on when the key is in the run position. So if you turn it on then put it into neutral and shut it back off you won't lose much fuel.

Randy_270

Reaction score
I just left the filter unplugged then quickly turned the key to run put it in neutral and then turned the key off. I don't know if any fuel came out because I wrapped the filter area in poly to hopefully stop any dust from getting in it while I wait for my new cover to come in.

Latest posts

Members online