Factory sound question

jdgleason

Reaction score
Hey guys! Can anyone tell me exactly what the differences are from a 2010 lariat ultimate truck with the factory sub/amp, tweeters etc vs a 2013 platinum truck are?

At a quick glance the plugs and everything look identical but I'm not sure. Wondering if the door speakers are different? Seems like the sound out of Justin's '13 is decently better than my setup.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Speakers should be interchangeable since they are the same size. As long as the harness is the same. Now the amp could be different which may change performance. Not sure how the 13 system is setup

jdgleason

Reaction score
Ok, so I looked at the sub stuff and the harness for thew subs between my truck and the other are definitely different. I'm pretty unfamiliar with sound stuff. Any one know whether I could just splice some things to make it work? Shouldn't be any extra modules or anything right?

I'll check out some wiring diagrams tomorrow but any help or direction would be appreciated!

jdc753

Reaction score
Ok, so I looked at the sub stuff and the harness for thew subs between my truck and the other are definitely different. I'm pretty unfamiliar with sound stuff. Any one know whether I could just splice some things to make it work? Shouldn't be any extra modules or anything right?

I'll check out some wiring diagrams tomorrow but any help or direction would be appreciated!

Honestly I really don't know much at all about any factory systems especially the higher end ones. Basically all the stuff they use is proprietary kinda gear and OEM stuff doesn't really correlate to aftermarket stuff.

I would think you should be able to splice some things or change connectors and get stuff working, but I wouldn't know where to begin without pouring through the wiring diagrams and seeing where the amplifier is located and how the signal is transferred. One truck might have an external seperate amplifier and the other might have the amplifier inside/part of the sub/box/unit. Also resistance of the speakers you are dealing with and the power fed might come into play as well. Hopefully Alldata will show all the information you need to make it work.

At the speakers it should be pretty easy as it is just a +/- connection at the speaker, only thing to double check is resistance and power handling, but usually OEM stuff is higher resistance

Best of luck, hope you can get it figured out how you want it.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Thanks for the help Josh.... exactly what I needed to start to understand this stuff. I'll check out some wiring diagrams and try and compare them