Porting exhaust manifolds?

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Can i port out the headers a bit?
2011-07-24_17-03-44_502.jpg

strokin6L

Reaction score
sure, but i honestly think you're gonna be wasteing your time. What do you expect to acheive be doing this? You wont gain any significant difference on how the truck runs. If it were me...i'd stick more attention to the intake manifold than the exhaust manifolds.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
It would smooth out the rough surfaces. If your gonna get the gasket for it, see how much manifold is inside the gasket and have the same diameter.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
sure, but i honestly think you're gonna be wasteing your time. What do you expect to acheive be doing this? You wont gain any significant difference on how the truck runs. If it were me...i'd stick more attention to the intake manifold than the exhaust manifolds.

He has a point. Intake porting is way more significant than exhaust porting. The flow out of the engine is usually decent with the stock design, but the intake flow usually needs improvements.

strokin6L

Reaction score
It would smooth out the rough surfaces. If your gonna get the gasket for it, see how much manifold is inside the gasket and have the same diameter.

smoothing it is one thing...porting is another. I smoothened out the casting inside my manifolds to by reaching in as far as i could with a stone and sandpaper bit for a die grinder. I never ported mine and never saw a need for it. And honestly i probably wasted my time doing what i did cause i don't think it really mattered. Not to mention the stock manifolds have already been used to make well over 1000+ on the 6L and some of the 6.4 guys are using them.

Last edited:

Magnum PD

Reaction score
OK.....smoothing it out MAY do some good. Just don't spend hours doing it.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
i didnt do anything to mine when i put them on, figured they outflowed the uppipes anyway, i would agree smoothing might do some good but dont spend 10 days porting them

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I hear about these gaskets, but have never seen any? Stock didnt have any? I'm just doing this as a bordem project. I figured the exhaust flow was good enough as it is. From what i can tell theres not much to port out. So i doubt any real significant cfm will be gained. I had just got through meticulously cleaning my 04 turbo and painting it and needed something else to work on. I want to do the intake but im scared ill mess it up (no worries i have 2 of everything) and i really want dougs anyway. Cause he's a straight baller. If it takes 2 months to port them out how i want them i dont really care cause its just keeping my busy after work and chores are done.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of ported heads they can post up? I realize this is where i can get in toe stepping territory and if its the wrong thing to ask for then dont post up your pics. Thanks, garrett!

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of ported heads they can post up? I realize this is where i can get in toe stepping territory and if its the wrong thing to ask for then dont post up your pics. Thanks, garrett!

Don't let anyone try to tell you something like porting exhaust or heads is proprietary in any way shape or form. They've been doing that crap for ages and its not like the concept has changed much if at all.

Latest posts

Members online