Modded IDM worth it or not

99powerstroke

Reaction score
I am just wondering if a modded IDM is worth it, do you see any gains or feel the difference? I have heard really just on obs not really the super duties??

Thanks

JD3020

Reaction score
I want to do it. I've also thought about getting the Swamps modded IDM. When i went from the stock OBS IDM to the SD IDM(120v) i noticed a difference. Not sure if the 140v would make much of a difference.

JoeDiesle

Reaction score
I have a toggle switch on mine and diff notice a diffence. Thottle is more responsive, it feels more powerful SOTP but its probably because the tip-in on the throttle is sharper. I like it.

Tom S

Reaction score
Does anyone have the Swamps IDM mod. I was kinda thinking about getting one.

HOLDERDOWN

Reaction score
I had one on my truck and you could tell a lil. I know with my brothers OBS (Powerstrokeracing) he had no chip for awhile and just a modded IDM and you could tell it had a little extra and a baby puff of smoke which it didnt do at stock. We also run one on our pullin truck. And at a dyno I personally saw a truck have 19hp difference.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I have been looking for a used one to send to swamps but it seems every time I find one for sale at a decent price it's gone before I can get it

big.country.psd

Reaction score
i'm runnin the swamps IDM on my truck. throttle response is ten times better... recommend it for an OBS. never driven a duty with one tho.:biggun:

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I have a feeling that the little things such as the IDM mod, and a little extra fuel pressure are the reasons my truck feels so much more crisp than a regular intake, tune, exhaust truck...

TARM

Reaction score
I have a feeling that the little things such as the IDM mod, and a little extra fuel pressure are the reasons my truck feels so much more crisp than a regular intake, tune, exhaust truck...

I could not agree more with the basic premise of what you have just said. The little things can add up to noticeable effects. IMO to many times people discount doing things becasue they are "too much trouble or cost for what little they give". In choosing where to spend your money you always want to go with what will yield you the most. But once you are hunting for more perf it is exactly the sum of those little things that can make one guys truck seem to just run so much better. Those little things that are not much by themselves can add up to create a significant difference.

On the IDM as Charles once told me anything that can raise voltage at the injector is a good thing. I agree. The frequency thing if its a all out power perf goal like a comp truck I would say yes from what I understand about it but for a DD not so much. There are a couple posts with good explanations on the forums. I would use a unit from Swamps or Beans in a second without hesitation that raised voltage. Swamps as far as I know makes IDM with either just the voltage or both the voltage and frequency mod. Beans makes them with only the voltage mod. So you can pick your poison.

TARM

Reaction score
250-275 with your core IIRC. Not sure what is what in price on with or without the frequency mod with it. Its 275 with it not sure without it.

genie144

Reaction score
Reposted from the thread that ended on 7/15...

So here is my thoughts on this. The increased voltage and frequency clean up and boost the signal going to the injectors. This allows any injectors to be more responsive to the signal received from the throttle position sensor. As with building any system... You need to have the building blocks to support the system as it becomes more robust.

I believe the IDM upgrade to be one of the essential pieces to getting your truck to perform better - at ANY power level. As you request more and more performance, having a clear powerful electrical signal becomes a requirement rather than an option. There are many ways to achieve the high voltage IDM - I personally believe that the HVHF upgrade offered by Swamps is the best route for anyone seeking more than stockish power.

You can think of it this way - your stock IDM is old broadcast TV - weak signal with static. The "solution" was boosting the power of the broadcast so now you had a better picture (100V to 110V to 120V to aftermarket 140V IDM) - but still had static/interference. Now think of digital broadcast TV - the picture is crystal clear with no static/interference (HVHF IDM). As with your injectors, changing the source doesn't adversely affect the longevity of your TV - it just changes the picture you see.

Sam

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The obs idm mods are more noticable... i think the sd idm mod is only good for 7-8hp at the wheels.. thats what jonathan at beans told me..

Latest posts

Members online