Is this a good Gooseneck? Load Max?

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
I have an opertunity to pick up a used 2008 Load Max for 3,500. I am not sure what size exactly or what weight it is. It is an 8 lug wheel is all I can see, couldn't find a Vin tag on it either or moedel number.
Here are some pics
6B4-5FD7EC74169B-4586-000001FF5C260339_zpsd528d1c1.jpg

B1C-BBEBBA12C9FD-4586-000001FF639FB0C8_zps12195471.jpg

E44-71E14DC517DE-4586-000001FF6B679F90_zps437849e8.jpg

I know it needs two new deck boards and I would assume tires but then again I didn't look that close. What do you guys think? Good deal? I think it's around 27 ft and a brand new one goes for over 10,000 dollars.
http://bestchoicetrailers.com/greg/...HDGoosenecksPintleHooks/GH16/MSRP_Pricing.pdf

Spatel23

Reaction score
It really depends on the length and axles but Ive seen a 14k trailer like that go for 5500 all day brand new.

www.thetrailerguys.com
they don't have any in stock right now according to the site but give them a shout and see what theyd sell a brand new one for. Youll be surprised

Last edited:

jngreen

Reaction score
It's only a 14,000 lb rated trailer. If it was a tandem axle, dual wheeled trailer, it would be worth a lot more because it would be rated at 22,000 or 24,000 lbs.

HD F250

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, I learned something too. This post makes me feel a little better about my future purchase :)

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
So I went and looked at it harder today and here were my finds.
It has 7K axles that look to be in good shape, the tires don't match and two of there are dry rotted/ cracked, four of the deck boards are broken or warped. It says the max pay load is 10,000 lbs, so I am assuming it weights 4,000 lbs by its self but cant I subtract some of the tongue weight from that? So if I have 2,000 lbs of tongue weight can I now carry 12,000? One last question is because my truck is lifted it sits nose high unloaded, can I flip the axles on this thing or am I asking fro trouble doing that? I am going to try and get him to come down to 3,200 because it does need tires but we will see.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I'd offer 2500-3000. Nothing more.

Are you kidding me, I don't know what kind of deals your finding! A 2008 Load Max gooseneck in any configuration up in this area for $3500 would be a steal. People think they are gold.

235/85-16 tires are cheap, and so is decking.

Weekendwarrior, lots of people flip the axles on their fifth wheel campers. Some people argue that the brakes on the axles do not work properly when reversed (flipping the axles). You should be alright flipping the axles in my opinion, you could always cut the perches and re weld them if your more comfortable with that option.

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Okay cool, I flipped the axles in my Toy hauler just didn't know if you could do that or not in something like this. It would still be more then stable with a truck and the deck and flipped axles you think?

Are you kidding me, I don't know what kind of deals your finding! A 2008 Load Max gooseneck in any configuration up in this area for $3500 would be a steal. People think they are gold.

Weekendwarrior, lots of people flip the axles on their fifth wheel campers. Some people argue that the brakes on the axles do not work properly when reversed (flipping the axles). You should be alright flipping the axles in my opinion, you could always cut the perches and re weld them if your more comfortable with that option.

Jason

Reaction score
On the payload issue, yes...scale it, find out how much weight the trailer axles have on them empty, and how much your rear axle has. You could very well and legally put 12-13k on that trailer where your truck, nor trailer axles are overloaded. My 24' enclosed had 2-5200lb axles on it, and weighed 4200lb empty. In theory only leaving 6200lbs for payload, but with 6200lbs evenly distributed none of my axles were at their ratings...i think it took 8k total or so to get them there. Your tongue, structure and axles all have a load limit, and more weight evenly distributed will allow you to carry more weight than one heavy ass item smack in tge middle of the trailer.

Super08Duty

Reaction score

All depends on the general condition of the trailer. If it has brake problems, mismatched/dry rotted tires, wiring problems or old boards, I wouldn't pay more than 3k for it at the most. If its all good, still wouldn't pay more than 3k. You can find any brand gooseneck for cheap around here.

Latest posts

Members online