down firing jl 8w7?

02POWERSTROKE7.3

Reaction score
Would it be possible to put a jl 8w7 downfiring behind the rear seat in a crew cab? I have a Rockford p3s behind the rear seat but ready to change the system up. Any input?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
No offense to you, but any jl audio product is WAY overpriced for what it is.

Yeah, not so much. Clarity, quality, output, warranty, everything about JL and JL products is worth the money spent

To the OP: I don't think you'll have the room. If you have a crew cab, look into a stealth console box by JL. They rock

thuglike

Reaction score
JL is top shelf.

stealth box is the way to go in a cc.

I would ditch the 8 and go with a shallow 13 behind the rear passanger seat

jdc753

Reaction score
and 8" MIGHT JUUUUUST FIT, but it is going to be tight, and thinking of the 8w7 I think the magnet is going to hit the seat even if you get the cone right down 1-2" from the floor.

Trying to remember back the years but I think there is a MAX of 8" between the seat and rear wall, all the way down at the floor, and it disappears quickly from there.

From here you could gain another 1.5" to the rear wall, but will need room for your box, even if fiberglass to cut down on thickness.

DSC01214.jpg

A less beefy 8" may work better, but they you would be able to forward fire it instead. I am pretty sure if you don't want to do a center console you would be better off doing a TW5 behind the seat.

EDIT:

now that I think about it, if this is in your 02 truck, then you most likely have a good deal more room behind the seat than in 04+ trucks, or you could gain more by flipping the mounting brackets to bring the seat further forward.

02POWERSTROKE7.3

Reaction score
Im wanting to do this in my 04 crew cab. Never seen a jl 13 in person but have not been impressed with other shallow mounts in the past. This build I want to sound clean. Want sound quality and listen to rock music. Any other suggestions for a sub?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Im not trying to start agruments here, but you guys dont know much about audio if you buy jl. Jl audio's quality is okay, I never said it wasntx if you can get it cheap, then go for it, but for the money you pay for a w7 woofer (which doesnt even have a 3" voice coil) you can have a sub that will handle twice the power for less money. Yall need to look into dc audio, fi car audio, sundown audio, digital designs, audioque, etc... there are a few other forum members on here that know their **** on audio. And no I dont buy my subs at walmart... ill post up a vid of my old setup for you guys.

ghohouston

Reaction score

jdc753

Reaction score
Im wanting to do this in my 04 crew cab. Never seen a jl 13 in person but have not been impressed with other shallow mounts in the past. This build I want to sound clean. Want sound quality and listen to rock music. Any other suggestions for a sub?

The JL TW5 is not really the same ballpark as the majority of other shallow mounts, it should be better quality than the majority of conventional subs. Biggest part of getting clean quality sound will be from the install and tuning much more than the gear itself, properly sized box, and properly equalized and crossed signal will bring even wallmart gear to life.

Only other suggestions to take a look at but you will have to confirm fitment with the measurements from behind your seat. FI Audio Q, Image Dynamics IDQ, Stereo Integrity BMII (discontinued shallow mount) or if the new BMIII comes out soon, or finding a discontinued Stereo Integrity Mag V4, Image Dynamics ID8's (PTSUPERD has a pair of these ported and loves them) Dynaudio, and probably some I am missing.

Im not trying to start agruments here, but you guys dont know much about audio if you buy jl. Jl audio's quality is okay, I never said it wasntx if you can get it cheap, then go for it, but for the money you pay for a w7 woofer (which doesnt even have a 3" voice coil) you can have a sub that will handle twice the power for less money. Yall need to look into dc audio, fi car audio, sundown audio, digital designs, audioque, etc... there are a few other forum members on here that know their **** on audio. And no I dont buy my subs at walmart... ill post up a vid of my old setup for you guys.

Most of the brands you listed are mainly geared to output and not sound quality, but I do like your list.

For the most part I agree with you on the JL brand, they are basically the BMW or Banks of the car audio world, pricey for what you get, but JL's stuff does flat out work. I doubt I would ever run JL gear unless I get it for cheap used, BUT the JL8W7 and TW5 are in a league of their own. The 8W7 is pretty much shares the crown for king of the 8s with the DD 1508. The W6 subs and slash series amps have won plenty of SQ comps. Most people look at JL's product list and figure the W7 is the king since it is their priciest sub, but they don't realize the W7 is JL's output sub, while the W6 is their sound quality sub and sadly the W6 gets overlooked more than it should.

The king of 8's for everyone, DD1508 on the left and 8w7 on the right.

DD1508vs8W7.jpg

Last edited:

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I've only used Hertz component equipment. They are the design team of MB Quart under a new name. I have zero complaints. I got Garrett hooked on them too, he loves their stuff

jdc753

Reaction score
I have no experience with Hertz subs but their components are good stuff, HSK165's are a solid set. And like Steve said they are the old (read good) MB Quart team, new MB Quart is just a subsidiary of Maxsonics (Hifonics, Crunch, Autotek, MB Quart)

I would assume the Hertz subs are solid and quality but I don't have anything to go off of. For some GOOD research and reading check out www.diymobileaudio.com and do some searching of products you are interested in, also www.caraudio.com is a good site to check out as well.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
im doing (3) of the new JL shallow mount 10's (if i can get them to fit under the seat.) i know in the older model trucks that dont have the huge seatbelt thing in the back wall you can get 3 in there. i sat in an 06 today that had 3, and it hit VERY hard. i will do 2 if i cant fit 3, i wont know until the stuff is ripped out from under the seat exactly how much airspace i will have. they dont need a ton of power either. guy was driving them with a mosconi 400x2 bridged to (600x1) iirc, so little wattage needed. i was VERY impressed. i'm sure with 2 mine will hit really hard, but want 3. i really liked the jl8w7 in the console, but it did create a lot of console rattle and i had to battle insulating it. as well, i dont think the drivers seat sound benefits from having the sub right next to you, i think the sound is better coming from further back. but it will hit pretty hard, but i would not buy it again. shallow mounts are the way of the future IMO.

also, in my 08 crew cab, i have the stealth 13TW5 box, under the back seat. hits hard, but i do wish i would have done 2. sound quality is awesome, but for stuff you want to hit really hard, one is not enough IMO.

i think to a point JL may be overpriced, but the quality and warranty, as steve said, works great. anything beyond JL goes into the niche market. i would love to do SPLK or top level stuff, but i just dont care that much.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
The JL TW5 is not really the same ballpark as the majority of other shallow mounts, it should be better quality than the majority of conventional subs. Biggest part of getting clean quality sound will be from the install and tuning much more than the gear itself, properly sized box, and properly equalized and crossed signal will bring even wallmart gear to life.

Only other suggestions to take a look at but you will have to confirm fitment with the measurements from behind your seat. FI Audio Q, Image Dynamics IDQ, Stereo Integrity BMII (discontinued shallow mount) or if the new BMIII comes out soon, or finding a discontinued Stereo Integrity Mag V4, Image Dynamics ID8's (PTSUPERD has a pair of these ported and loves them) Dynaudio, and probably some I am missing.

Most of the brands you listed are mainly geared to output and not sound quality, but I do like your list.

For the most part I agree with you on the JL brand, they are basically the BMW or Banks of the car audio world, pricey for what you get, but JL's stuff does flat out work. I doubt I would ever run JL gear unless I get it for cheap used, BUT the JL8W7 and TW5 are in a league of their own. The 8W7 is pretty much shares the crown for king of the 8s with the DD 1508. The W6 subs and slash series amps have won plenty of SQ comps. Most people look at JL's product list and figure the W7 is the king since it is their priciest sub, but they don't realize the W7 is JL's output sub, while the W6 is their sound quality sub and sadly the W6 gets overlooked more than it should.

The king of 8's for everyone, DD1508 on the left and 8w7 on the right.

DD1508vs8W7.jpg

well put. i have gone to the W6's in my last few setups cuz the 10W7 was just more than i wanted or needed. and the reliability of them , including the slash amps, mean you can buy used with decent confidence. i bought 4 10w6 off CL for $600 . been putting them in every car i buy, just wont fit in my new cc. jl is just a solid top of the line, off the shelf brand. and they work.

jdc753

Reaction score
im doing (3) of the new JL shallow mount 10's (if i can get them to fit under the seat.) i know in the older model trucks that dont have the huge seatbelt thing in the back wall you can get 3 in there. i sat in an 06 today that had 3, and it hit VERY hard. i will do 2 if i cant fit 3, i wont know until the stuff is ripped out from under the seat exactly how much airspace i will have. they dont need a ton of power either. guy was driving them with a mosconi 400x2 bridged to (600x1) iirc, so little wattage needed. i was VERY impressed. i'm sure with 2 mine will hit really hard, but want 3. i really liked the jl8w7 in the console, but it did create a lot of console rattle and i had to battle insulating it. as well, i dont think the drivers seat sound benefits from having the sub right next to you, i think the sound is better coming from further back. but it will hit pretty hard, but i would not buy it again. shallow mounts are the way of the future IMO.

also, in my 08 crew cab, i have the stealth 13TW5 box, under the back seat. hits hard, but i do wish i would have done 2. sound quality is awesome, but for stuff you want to hit really hard, one is not enough IMO.

i think to a point JL may be overpriced, but the quality and warranty, as steve said, works great. anything beyond JL goes into the niche market. i would love to do SPLK or top level stuff, but i just dont care that much.

That is going to be sweet when it is all done!!

Yes quality, warranty and customer service is all top notch with JL. Slash amps are solid, and a big chunk of the higher price per watt is that the slash amps push out the same wattage at various resistances (1.3-4ohm) simplifying wiring and making them a bit more flexible along with the quality components and tuning capabilities.

I have never personally messed with a center console stealth box, but I would imagine much of that rattle comes from the raw mass and structure of the box. My center console weighs over 50lbs before the sub is installed, 3 pieces of 3/4" MDF along with 1.5" of MDF spacer/stiffener on the face where the sub mounts, and a few pounds of lead shot mixed into the fiber glass resin, and no vibrations except for loose change or screws left inside the cupholders. The key to a good box is for the box to NOT flex, only the cone of the subwoofer should be moving.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Only complaint i have of the center seat stealth box is that the console is a bit crooked and doesnt want to go all the way up without some muscle applied. No rattles at all and with a jl 10" in there it sounds great, just not quite loud enough for me.

If i didnt need to keep my rear seats folded up i would have 2 more 10"s back there in stealth boxs.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Some really good info here.
I have run a W7 12" in my last 4 automobiles. I got it used on CL for $350 had a friend build a spec box tuned at 32 and pushed it to the max for over four years with no problems.
Even blew out the rear window in my old 89 prelude SI. At the end of the day I agree with most that JL is big money but the sound quality is worth. I sold that sub with an amp for $600 a couple months ago. They are like an Acura and hold their value.
I do not have a PSD right now but looking at a 6.4 cc. and will be looking to put 3 JL shallows in it as soon as I get one.
Looking forward to seeing some setups stated earlier to help me decide which route to go.