Gooseneck axle spread

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
I'm ordering a new PJ hydraulic dovetail 38 footer and I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with a 6' axle spread on a gooseneck. I like the idea of being able to load the trailer heavy without having to worry so much about getting the axle weights right (my forklift is 21,500lbs) but I've heard of guys rolling the tires off the bead on tight turns when loaded heavy. Is this a real concern or just an old wives tale?

Jason

Reaction score
I drug a 36' enclosed bumper pull all across the country with a spread axle and 7k lb axles. Loaded heavy, like 27k lb gross weight, I had zero issues with rolling tires off the bead. Now, tight turns it didn't look too pretty, but I learned not to jack it around tightly. With a tandem dual and heavier suspension, I seriously doubt it would be an issue for you at all.

SAK

Reaction score
I have a 60" spread on mine. Pulling heavy loads makes it real nice, but you have to be careful when you have a load on it. I wouldn't do any sharp turns with a load, it looks like the tires/hubs are screaming for mercy and I don't know what would happen if you had 20k over the axles doing that.

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
Makes sense. Backing it up should be interesting with spring suspension. I can dump either axle on the big truck and it still leaves me looking like a fool sometimes lol.