Adding speakers

taterthedog

Reaction score
Ok, in my shop stereo, I'm running 4 cheap speakers and 2 12s with an amp. Head unit is just some old pioneer that came out of a haul truck. It has your basic 4 speaker wiring. Is there any way to add some more speakers without going to an amp for the regular speakers? Can I bridge two speakers like people do with subs to drive them harder?

jdc753

Reaction score
It sounds like the 4 speakers are power off the head unit, and then there is an amplifier for the subs. Correct?

If this is the case you can't bridge from a HU, it's just not setup for it. Plus it would be a moot point as you would drop from 4 speakers at X power each to 2 speakers with 2X power each, since the amp only puts out soo many watts, it just changes how many channel you utilize.

You should be able to score a decent 4-channel 50w amp for say $35 on craigslist or car audio forums, then just a couple more bucks to scrounge together some wire or even $20 for a new amp kit at walmart. 50w from an amplifier will at least be 3x if not 4x the power you are getting from the head unit.

taterthedog

Reaction score
That's exactly right. 4 speakers off the head unit, plus an amp to 2 12" subs.
Up here we are extremely limited to what we can pick up used. I'll keep an eye out though.
Thanks!
Brad

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.