Changing Compressor Wheel

morefuel

Reaction score
I noticed the other day day some of the fins on a compressor wheel of my turbo were bent. I was wondering if it is necessary to have it balanced with a new wheel or since I am using a used SD compressor wheel will it need to be balanced?

Does anyone have any experience with using a SD compressor wheel on an OBS? Are there any added benefits or will it decrease performance?

Sorry for any confusion or poor spelling.:)

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I noticed the other day day some of the fins on a compressor wheel of my turbo were bent. I was wondering if it is necessary to have it balanced with a new wheel or since I am using a used SD compressor wheel will it need to be balanced?

Does anyone have any experience with using a SD compressor wheel on an OBS? Are there any added benefits or will it decrease performance?

Sorry for any confusion or poor spelling.:)

i would put another obs wheel in it. that where the wicked wheel comes from. you could also put a sd wheel in it as well. some say they work better then the ww. either way you should be fine with not rebalancing. ideally you should,but wheel swaps are done everyday without rebalancing the charger.

morefuel

Reaction score
When they balance a turbo are they balanced with the wheel on the shaft? If they are, my thinking is that anytime the comp. wheel is taken off, the turbo would need to be rebalanced.

kampy

Reaction score
Kyle's pretty much got it. Ideally you'd have it balanced but real world everyday most don't. I didn't have mine balanced when I put the SD wheel in it and it's fine. The compressor wheels are neutral balanced when they're manufactured so it really doesn't matter.

Mine with the SD wheel builds more boost and I get a little backflow bark when it shifts at WOT and it didn't do it with the factory wheel. Do it, run it, you'll like it.

Tom S

Reaction score
I would get it balanced but I am fussy about stuff like that.

morefuel

Reaction score
Well I got it changed took me about 5 hours total. I run cooler and the turbo is way quieter. Also it cut down on the smoke a bit.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread from the OP but I have a little quesion. Can you take a SD comp. wheel and run it in the stock OBS turbo? If so with the mods I have (see sig) would it be worth it if I could get ahold of one? Thanks

morefuel

Reaction score
It goes right is just like your stock comp wheel. If I had the turbo out I would say it is well worth it. Not sure it would be worth it to take the turbo out just to change though.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
It goes right is just like your stock comp wheel. If I had the turbo out I would say it is well worth it. Not sure it would be worth it to take the turbo out just to change though.

Its not possible to swap them out with the turbo in place?

kampy

Reaction score
No, the turbo has to be removed in order to remove the compressor housing to get to the compressor wheel, theres not enough room to pull the compressor housing otherwise.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Ok yeah i wasnt sure so I went and looked and yeah your right. well since mines recently rebiult theres no sense in taking it back out again thanks yall