How to insall a factory backup camera and mirror

sagebel

Reaction score
I did this a while ago on a different forum.

I used a 2008 tailgate with the camera in the handle and a 2008 rear view mirror. I found both at online salvage yards.

Camera wiring is as follows:

There are 5 wires that come out of the camera and go to a connector at the bottom of the tailgate (to allow removal of the tailgate).

Pin 1 White/Brown tracer: 12V power
Pin 2 White/Green tracer: NTSC(video) +
Pin 3 Purple NTSC(video) -
Pin 4 Black Shield(not used)
Pin 5 Black/White tracer: Ground

Since I used only 4 of the wires, I cut the factory connector off and bought a trailer wiring kit and used the flat 4 connectors at the bottom of the tailgate. (I just cut the Shield wire off.)

For the mirror, I wired it so that I can switch it on manually or have it come on when reverse is selected.

There could be anywhere from 5 to 9 wires coming out of the mirror depending on the vehicle you source it from. You will need to splice into the following wires that come out of the mirror:

Pin 1 White/Blue tracer: Constant 12V power
Pin 2 Green/Orange tracer: Switched 12V power (from reverse or selector switch)
Pin 3 Black: Ground
Pin 8 White/Green tracer NTSC(video)+
Pin 16 Light Brown/Purple tracer: NTSC(video)-

Other unused wires from the mirror:
Pins 4,5,6,7,12,13, and 14 not used
Pin 9 Yellow/Green tracer: Compass +
Pin 10 Blue/Gray tracer: Compass -
Pin 11 EOC+
Pin 15 EOC-

sagebel

Reaction score
If it has a video RCA input you might be able to built a connector and attach the NTSC+ to the center post and the NTSC- to the outer plug.

When I first did this it was on my 2000 F-350 so I wasn't tapping into anything that was currently on the truck. The whole set up is stand alone. I even took it off my 2000 and put it on my '11 because it didn't have one from the factory. I would have done the same thing on the '12 but it has the camera built in.

cowwboy

Reaction score
Does anyone know the part number for the truck side plug that goes to the newer tailgates with camera? I would like to keep the factory plugs.

Latest posts

Members online