6.0 swap into 79 bronco..?

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
Ok so for about the past year I've been looking at superduty single cab trucks to make my dedicated race/play truck. I didn't look around too long before I decided I wanted something different than what everyone else had. When I started tossing around the idea of dropping a 6.0 into a late 70s f-250/350 single cab it seemed out of reach, I couldn't find a decent truck for a good price. So now I think I'm starting to change my mind again, I've got a 79 bronco in fairly good shape that basically sits all year, it has a 460 and I would think it could be a strong runner but I just can't ever get motivated to work on it. Before I pull the 460 to mock up a 6.0 with a 5R I wanted to see what peoples opinions were on this, and how would the stock suspension/drivetrain handle the extra weight and power? Has anyone done it? Any advice would be appreciated, I'm getting really tired of breaking my daily driver!

Bloodhound

Reaction score
I have thought about the same thing for my 79 bronco. My thoughts have leaned toward finding a donar truck. I have also kicks around the idea is shortening the frame on the donor and putting my body on the 6.0 frame.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I cant remember what mag it was but a few years ago there was an article about a guy who had 2 swapped broncos 1 with a 7.3 and the other with a 6.0... It looked like the 6.0 fit really nice I bet it would be a fun project to do!

SteveBricks

Reaction score
I don't remember what mag they were in either, but I took a couple pics of them at a SoCaps meet.

Here's the 7.3

landerscactussocaps026.jpg

landerscactussocaps025.jpg

...and the 6.0

landerscactussocaps022.jpg

landerscactussocaps021.jpg

They're not '79's though...

Last edited:

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Wow those are some clean setups. Your going to have to change out to a solid front and who knows what else. I had a 96' bronco that would raise and sway when power was put down, and thats not saying alot lol. But that would be a sweet build for sure, I would like to see a 79' 6.0 bronco spanking cars.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
Those are some clean rides! I don't think space will be an issue, heat and a/c will be removed if it becomes a clearance issue. 79 broncos came with a solid front axle but I'm not sure if the springs will hold the extra weight, I might have to get some 250 or 350 coils.
Another question, I thought I remembered hearing that for a 6.0 to run it had to have the gauge cluster, is this true? I might have a line on a donor truck, hopefully I can get the electronics I need from that.

02BigD

Reaction score
I've been thinking through a 12v swap into my '79. It's going to be the cheapest route, with no electronics to worry about, and have a setup that I could do 99% of the normal maintenance on. Combined with the mileage it should get, it makes the decision easy.

I am going to get an '05 up Ford axles/springs, and use that. Factory springs aren't going to enjoy having that heavy stuff above it. Also, I want to keep the Bronco leveled on 35's, not happening with stock hardware.

Very interested to see where you end up going with this Cooper.

The thing that is holding me back is the body. It has gotten rough sitting outside a lot up north. Anyone know where a good one can be had? Patch panels aren't going to cut it.

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Ah I completely forgot they were solid back in the day, good call for 05 suspension up front, no way a bronco can hold heavier than what it's got right now. What's going on with your 08 in the sig?

Last edited:

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Lott has done it with a 7.3 and swapped in 05 up suspension. Might hit him up...

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I've been thinking through a 12v swap into my '79. It's going to be the cheapest route, with no electronics to worry about, and have a setup that I could do 99% of the normal maintenance on. Combined with the mileage it should get, it makes the decision easy.

I am going to get an '05 up Ford axles/springs, and use that. Factory springs aren't going to enjoy having that heavy stuff above it. Also, I want to keep the Bronco leveled on 35's, not happening with stock hardware.

Very interested to see where you end up going with this Cooper.

The thing that is holding me back is the body. It has gotten rough sitting outside a lot up north. Anyone know where a good one can be had? Patch panels aren't going to cut it.

I wonder how much weight difference there is between the 460 and a 6.0, it might not really be that much. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for superduty axles just in case. As far as body panels, I think I remember seeing them on lmctruck.com, I don't know how the quality is though. I'm HOPING to get the 460 pulled late next week some time, we'll see how everything goes with work, it really sucks since my tranny finally decided it had had enough yesterday so that's going to consume most of my money right now. I should have most of what I need to start the mock up though.

Ah I completely forgot they were solid back in the day, good call for 05 suspension up front, no way a bronco can hold heavier than what it's got right now. What's going on with your 08 in the sig?
The 08 is actually my dad's, it's waiting to get deleted with an h&s, he doesn't want to get too crazy with it since it has to haul our 5th wheel and our gooseneck.

Lott has done it with a 7.3 and swapped in 05 up suspension. Might hit him up...
That's right, I was thinking he shortened an 05 frame, do you know if he four linked the front?

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Not sure Coop. Can't remember. I do know he used OUO traction bars....

02BigD

Reaction score
Depending on how it's fitted out, and what accessories your run, I figure somewhere around 6-800 lbs additional weight from the 460. That is factoring, motor, new mounts, turbos, piping, intercooler, large radiator, and associated materials, not including transmission and transfer case weight differences.

On edit, not including any required electronics either.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
Yea that's true, I didn't really think about tranny and transfer case and all the little things. One thing I'm unsure about is engine mounts, I don't think there's a company that makes any and I've never made any before. I see in the pictures on the first page it looks like they used the brake booster from the 6.0, would I be able to use the factory bronco stuff? Or should I try to see about running one out of a superduty?

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
If it were me i would use all the newest parts i could, so i wouldnt have to come back twice to fix anything.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
If it were me i would use all the newest parts i could, so i wouldnt have to come back twice to fix anything.

If I can pick up a donor truck for the right price then I will for sure.
On a side note, does anyone know what a 460 with unknown mileage and rebuilt C6 tranny with less than 100 miles on it with an np205 transfer case (i believe) is worth?

lowbedriver

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 79 cclb with a 6.0 he used a donor truck and yes he had to use the gauge cluster from the donor and wire in the door ajar sensors

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Yea that's true, I didn't really think about tranny and transfer case and all the little things. One thing I'm unsure about is engine mounts, I don't think there's a company that makes any and I've never made any before. I see in the pictures on the first page it looks like they used the brake booster from the 6.0, would I be able to use the factory bronco stuff? Or should I try to see about running one out of a superduty?
With the Hydroboost system in the 6.0l, you would probably be better off moving all the 6.0 stuff over. It would be a sweet build though.

Latest posts

Members online