E-fans?

sniper_101

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone runs electric fans instead of the stock clutch fan setup, if so, care to post some pics or details?

Any reason why it's not a very common thing?

Simply wondering is all. I have a thermal switch setup I was going to use for my old Foxbody, but it just sits in the shop, and I'm just itchin' to use it or sell it lol.

Thanks guys.

TARM

Reaction score
I was thinking of running one a few years ago. Everyone I talked to that had used them steered me clear. JDub had or has a setup on one of his trucks. Do not think he was too impressed with it but he can answer that directly for ya.

skylinedan

Reaction score
Dont bother, theres not a fan or set of fans that can move the amount of air a stock one can. There use to be a guy on the " other " site that was with Ford and he had a lot of info on this. The pros n cons of the whole idea, The stock one consumes about 30 hp, if you figure the rise in intake temps due to a less that ideal electric fan , you,ll loose anything you gain is what it all comes down too. Ford did a lot of R n D on this and it works very well.

Dan

JDub

Reaction score
I ran them on my early 99 truck, they worked just fine on that truck with just daily driving. Don't think I'd use them in a towing application, coolant temps did run hotter than with the stock fan. I had troubles with the controller failing as well. They were good to replace it, but it had less than 1500 miles on it when it failed. If I had to do it over again, I think I'd stick with the stock clutch fan.

Tom S

Reaction score
Dont bother, theres not a fan or set of fans that can move the amount of air a stock one can. There use to be a guy on the " other " site that was with Ford and he had a lot of info on this. The pros n cons of the whole idea, The stock one consumes about 30 hp, if you figure the rise in intake temps due to a less that ideal electric fan , you,ll loose anything you gain is what it all comes down too. Ford did a lot of R n D on this and it works very well.

Dan

If you really want to learn more on this Auto Jim was the Cooling systems engineer that had lots of good posts on this.

TARM

Reaction score
I wish we could get a electric clutch for the factory fan mount. It would be nice to be able to control it rather than it using the viscous fluid clutch that trips auto when air flowing across it reach whatever 195 IIRC. honestly as loud as it is on ones I have heard when the clutch engages I do not think the one on my Excursion has ever had the clutch lock it up.

Arisley

Reaction score
Yeah, I hear mine every afternoon when I get off the freeway on the way home from work. It is loud enough to get some looks from the people in the lanes next to me.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
not reliable... simple.... they have yet to come up with a bulletproof controllers... they all burn up.... IF your talking for AC while in slow trafic or at the jobsite all day, than yea, put them on the outside...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.