muffler, resonator...

BFT

Reaction score
kinda bringing this back up again from the other site. ive been running a 4" diamond eye muffler but it has taken out a lot of the grunt. what do you guys recommend running?

the straight pipe just isnt doing it for me since everything sounds like i have an exhaust leak.

i was thinking the flo pro "twister" muffler or even the diamond eye resonator. just want to see more opinions on this

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Well out here in Cali we have hardcore smog on diesels already, so this past year my dad had to get his 04 6.0 smogged. It is straight piped, and that wont fly, so we took his stock cat and hollowed it out, and put it on. We were just doing this so it "had a cat". Surprisingly, it actually had more grunt on the top end. You may want to try something like that. It does muffle the sound a bit also.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I am running a FLO Pro 4" muffler and I am happy with it. Still sounds mean when you get on it.

BFT

Reaction score
Well out here in Cali we have hardcore smog on diesels already, so this past year my dad had to get his 04 6.0 smogged. It is straight piped, and that wont fly, so we took his stock cat and hollowed it out, and put it on. We were just doing this so it "had a cat". Surprisingly, it actually had more grunt on the top end. You may want to try something like that. It does muffle the sound a bit also.

i know, i live in cali. although our CAT is different from yours, i would need a plate and most likely a new gasket to go with it since its bolted on the the DPF

Do you want it loud or just get rid of that hairdryer sound?

i have a muffler and ive heard others with a muffler and like the sound...then again im not outside of the truck to listen to it. but yes the hairdryer sound is annoying and sounds like a DPF on regen

I think Dustin is running an FTE resonator on his truck and is happy with it

i spoke to him about how he liked it and i think that i wiuld need that muufler as close as i can get it to the DP. with the bungs in the way i think it would be a pain?

I am running a FLO Pro 4" muffler and I am happy with it. Still sounds mean when you get on it.

yeah, i remember when we were all down in phoenix. i might go up to a 5" with a muffler.

hasanyone seen the flo pro muffler? looks like the same concept as the FTE resonator...

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I haven't looked into the inside of it since install and don't remember. It will come off to get the snap test done for smog but not until it is running again. :fustrate:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I have the longer FTE resonator, its quiet for sure, like stupid quiet i think im gonig to take it back off with the twins since two turbine housings quiet things down.

Must be the 30 inch, i think on a stock turbo'd truck i would roll with the 18 inch one

Dzchey21

Reaction score
you still like that thing jeff? I have been meaning to ask, i have talked myself out of taking the resonator off untill after the build is over, that way i can see how much noise i have, i really want it quiet on the inside, and out for that matter, 700 hp sleeper has some apeal to me

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
you still like that thing jeff? I have been meaning to ask, i have talked myself out of taking the resonator off untill after the build is over, that way i can see how much noise i have, i really want it quiet on the inside, and out for that matter, 700 hp sleeper has some apeal to me

Yes sir! Love it. I need to make some changes to my exhaust though. I don't have enough hangers and I also have 2 open bungs, which is causing a little drone at certain RPM's. I do like the resonator though. I think it's going to really be great when I do a turbo setup....whatever I decide to do. I will probably try straight piped out for awhile when I do a turbo setup, but I think the resonator will make its way back on pretty quickly. I like the sleeper exhaust too....even if it is a 5" sleeper exhaust with a 6" tip. LOL

Dzchey21

Reaction score
mine is just after the trans crossmemeber, supposedly the farther up front the better

BFT

Reaction score
yeah, thats what i was reading. maybe ill give the resonator a shot. the muffler i have is really quiet

jdgleason

Reaction score
Hey robert i have a 4" diamond eye muffler laying around somewhere if you want to try it.... I think it has about 30 miles on it lol. It may have been banged around in the garage a little but its yours if you want it

Latest posts

Members online