Tech Week?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I want to plant the idea here for a Tech Week contest. Another non-diesel forum that I am on is filled with a TON of DIY type guys and they run a "Tech Week" - where all week people submit tech threads to the website - you know little DIY type projects like rebuilding an engine, or a fuel system design and install, or whatever... then at the end of the week a decision is made as to the winner - and they are awarded some gift certificate to a sponsor.

It seems to be a great way to get guys to write DIY threads and get all the info put into two or there concise posts instead of having the thread strung out over weeks while they plan and execute. Almost like a good way of summarizing some of the threads that we currently have - and have guys save up pictures and text to post all at once.

Its just a thought for going forward - something that maybe needs some thought and planning - perhaps like running a "Tech Week" in like 6 -12 months as membership grows and we get through a winter of some projects.

Just thought I would plant that seed. :D

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I like it because it would help distinguish PSA from the cookie cutter corporate owned sites with their ROTM promotions. LOL Also it would pull in more of the DIY crowd that we really want instead of the "Which tuner is the best?" crowd.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
I like it. Would deffinitely help build or data base of info. It would be nice of sponsors would donate a gift card but we could even just do it so the winner gets a picture of their rig on the homepage or something like that.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
Just have to make sure the threads that get submitted are detailed enough. I've seen a few (on other sites while looking for something else) that go something like "To make 600HP: Install bigger injectors, put on bigger turbo, have engine controller repogrammed".

MINK

Reaction score
I like that alot, there can never be to many diy threads..That chit never gets old to read! Who will sponsor it?LOL

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Just have to make sure the threads that get submitted are detailed enough. I've seen a few (on other sites while looking for something else) that go something like "To make 600HP: Install bigger injectors, put on bigger turbo, have engine controller repogrammed".

I know what you mean for sure - but really a thread like that wouldn't even be considered, let alone win - it would just fall into the depths of the forum and be forgotten.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I like the idea, we were considering the ROTM threads, but then thought it might be better to do once a year, i think every week might be too much, more like tech of the month might be better, i dont know, i like the idea, how to make it all work... i dunno... ill ponder on it.

I like the idea though because we could most likely stick every single thread, and put in the library, be an awesome archive for us really...

Take build threads, and summerize them in one or two posts with all the info gathered from other threads that are 100 pages long

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I like the idea, we were considering the ROTM threads, but then thought it might be better to do once a year, i think every week might be too much, more like tech of the month might be better, i dont know, i like the idea, how to make it all work... i dunno... ill ponder on it.

I like the idea though because we could most likely stick every single thread, and put in the library, be an awesome archive for us really...

Take build threads, and summerize them in one or two posts with all the info gathered from other threads that are 100 pages long

Not really "Tech of the Week" more like its a "Tech Week" that specializes in tech postings and DIY stuff for that week - make it like a Quarterly or Bi-Annual event. Consider it more as an online "event" that tech writers and DIY guys could "attend" - for lack of a better description. Or at least that is how it is run at other places I wander into and how I would envision it going on here.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Jason. Great idea. Really want to get the tech resource ball rolling now that the dust is settling.

Tom S

Reaction score
Very cool idea. Too bad I am a mod and cannot win. :(

I have actually enjoyed the write ups I have done in the past it just takes some time and effort is all.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Very cool idea. Too bad I am a mod and cannot win. :(

I have actually enjoyed the write ups I have done in the past it just takes some time and effort is all.

Perhaps there is a way to win Tom :D The staff could narrow it down to a top ten (maybe just the supermods - then you are free and clear - LOL ) - then have the membership vote on the winner.

Don't know why I didn't post this link earlier - but here is the voting thread for the Tech Week over on the HAMB (Hokey Assed Message Board - its full of a bunch of hard ass traditional hot rod guys with EXTREME talent): Tech Week on the HAMB - check it out and the kind of different tech that they get - its pretty much all damn impressive stuff. Obviously the tech itself would (could? :D) be very different - but you'll get the idea.

Rodslinger

Reaction score
Pirate 4x has a Topic of the week. Then they put all the builds into a " bible" keeps it real simple for looking up. They don't give out anything but, has some good stuff. You could have a build bible for OBS,PSD 7.3, 6.0 yada yada. Go to the topic and find the tread. The also have a " what do you want to see in topic of the month" tread.

jwlandry

Reaction score

I was wondering what happened to my ROTM idea. I was hopin it would go through.

willholl79

Reaction score
I agree, I think it's a great idea. It might be just the motivation for us that have good intentions of doing a write-up but don't follow through.

Latest posts

Members online