Need to pull some fuel...but?

Marauder

Reaction score
I need some advice…
I have your tunes and am just checking to see if how my truck is running is what is to be expected.
I called Beans to have some fuel pulled from the chip as the tunes for my GQSSB will blackout 2 ½ lanes on the freeway in the daily Driver tune. In town it’s even worse. Leaving a light and gently rolling into the throttle to shift through the gears I have cars changing lanes behind me. I ordered a burner yesterday to make things easier.

The main question I have is the missing or cycling the engine goes through when it is in between a load or off load condition. Truck empty, cruising down the road in 4th (it’s worse in the lower gears)the engine starts bucking like if it has a cam with huge duration. Apply some throttle and it smooth’s out, as well when you lift completely from the throttle. At Idle in the Econ setting the idle is rough, like it’s fighting itself. In the DD tune it better.
As far as making power….No issues there! It feels as quick as my 300hp MazdaSpeed3
I haven’t tried the tow settings as I haven’t hooked the truck to a trailer yet.
The reason why I ask this is I’ve come from a set of 160cc singles and now have 250/200 hybrids in the motor. I know the injection event have very different pulse width and SOI, between the two different injector types.
I need to know if the way my truck is running outside of the fueling issues, is the norm.
Thanks
Art

Bean

Reaction score
What elevation are you at? If its not that high then thats not normal you shouldnt have that much smoke.

Marauder

Reaction score
Thanks for helping me out....

I'm about 1100 feet Alt in the Phoenix, AZ area.
I also installed a new AFE Pro5 filter to free up some air. It had a Pro 7 restrictive filter on it. Think I should pull the filter and test it unrestricted to see if it clears up the smoke? Then work on a less restrictive induction system?

Would a restricted intake system create the missing I'm gettin when the engine isn't loaded?

Again Thanks for your help!

PS. My burner arrived this morning! :) Thanks for getting it out asap.....

Bean

Reaction score
Thats not alot of elevation so that not the issue. Does it smoke bad even on the lower tunes? Have you pressure tested the charge air system to make sure you dont have any leaks? Also checked for exhaust leaks?

Marauder

Reaction score
Thats not alot of elevation so that not the issue. Does it smoke bad even on the lower tunes? Have you pressure tested the charge air system to make sure you dont have any leaks? Also checked for exhaust leaks?

No, in the Econ tune it's not bad at all. The Econ tune is what it should be like, but just lacking power and boost. It maxes out at around 20psi boost.

The exhaust system is tight I have a welded uppipe system so the only place it can leak is at the turbo and the exhaust manifolds. No Donuts.
Everything is tight. I run stock exhaust manifolds.

As far as the charge system I haven't pressurized it. The motor will build boost instantly and hold it. Right now I only have a 35lb boost gauage and it will peg the gauage in a heartbeat and hold boost. EGT's in DD hold to 1150 (freeway crusing is around 700-800) and climb at a normal rate from what I'm used to from my last setup. Nothing crazy or stupid.

Let me go back and double check everything out. This has me stumped.

Give me a ring if you can get a chance to do so, I have a few questions I'd like to ask you about my setup. Much too long to post here. I don't want to waste you time having you typing on web. I know you guys are super busy.

Thanks Art

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
ask Bean or Matt about the bucking. one of Matt's buddies from Ohio had a truck down there that they put 250/200's in but it had the what sounds to be the same bucking issue, I can't remember what it was but they should be able to; it was a sensor or the like. It was a green straight cab that me and Matt took to the pull:naughty:

Marauder

Reaction score
Took some videos to share...

First two to show the no load rattle, need to crank your speaker volume to hear it.

http://s762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/hyperpasta/?action=view&current=024.mp4

http://s762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/hyperpasta/?action=view&current=004.mp4

Then some in town traffic dusting...

http://s762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/hyperpasta/?action=view&current=010.mp4

3/4-7/8 throttle run. Backed out of it in 5th. Daily Driver tune in all videos.

http://s762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/hyperpasta/?action=view&current=009.mp4

Whenever I tip into the throttle it gets pig rich, runs without soot cruising. On the freeway it's clean at a constant speed 65-70 give it some pedal and things get dark out back.

Could this be an ICP/IPR sensor? Cold or hot it starts on the first tick over.
Idles a tad rough but I understand it's the nozzles and you can see idle isn't that bad in the videos. Newly rebuilt HPOP and the motor is oil tight. No drips or leaks.

I have issues with my new AE setup and will call them in the morning to get that up and running. It never ends....

Any input would be helpful...

Last edited:

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I need some advice…
I have your tunes and am just checking to see if how my truck is running is what is to be expected.
I called Beans to have some fuel pulled from the chip as the tunes for my GQSSB will blackout 2 ½ lanes on the freeway in the daily Driver tune. In town it’s even worse. Leaving a light and gently rolling into the throttle to shift through the gears I have cars changing lanes behind me. I ordered a burner yesterday to make things easier.

The main question I have is the missing or cycling the engine goes through when it is in between a load or off load condition. Truck empty, cruising down the road in 4th (it’s worse in the lower gears)the engine starts bucking like if it has a cam with huge duration. Apply some throttle and it smooth’s out, as well when you lift completely from the throttle. At Idle in the Econ setting the idle is rough, like it’s fighting itself. In the DD tune it better.
As far as making power….No issues there! It feels as quick as my 300hp MazdaSpeed3
I haven’t tried the tow settings as I haven’t hooked the truck to a trailer yet.
The reason why I ask this is I’ve come from a set of 160cc singles and now have 250/200 hybrids in the motor. I know the injection event have very different pulse width and SOI, between the two different injector types.
I need to know if the way my truck is running outside of the fueling issues, is the norm.
Thanks
Art

You need a retune for larger injectors. Sorry I just glazed over this thread, but installing larger injectors and using an obsolete tune (ie tuned for the old, smaller injectors) WILL cause excessive fueling w/ the new injectors and poor running.

Also, this will cause the truck to buck. I installed larger sticks into my TDI actually, larger than the previous "large" sticks, and now the damn thing bucks under 1700rpms unless I put my foot into it and fuel it hard. Then it goes away. But low rpm/light driving is a bitch until I get a retune.