Powermax Turbo

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm currently rebuilding a 2006 6.0 for a friend and he wants the powermax turbo because of the jet whistle (which I have to admit has an awesome whistle) but I was recently told the 2004.5-2007 powermax doesn't have the high pitch jet whistle. I was told that if he wants the jet whistle he's gonna have to buy the 2003-2004.5 powermax and pedistial, is there any truth to that? I was under the impression that both the 2003-2004.5 and 2004.5-2007 powermaxs had the jet whistle.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
2003 10 vane turbo....stock turbo. jet whistle....idk what to think.

bcpsd

Reaction score
There's no difference in the 03-04 and the 05-07 whistle. The turbos are the same except the pedestal.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
04-07 have 9 vanes. Maybe the compressor wheels are different? I have an 04 and 07 turbo but not an 03 to look at.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
There are thought to be 3 types of chargers. 03, 03.5-04, 05-07.
I can say without a doubt that, 03.5-07 exhaust side has 9 vanes and 13 blades on the compressor wheel. So lets put that to rest. Now there is an unaleinable truth that 03's make a louder noise as to what it is...idk because I dont have one to take apart.

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
He's talking about the powermax, not a stock turbo. All of the powermax's will have the "jet" whistle no matter what year they are for.

Triple H

Reaction score
Smut,
The 2003 model has 10 exhaust blades and I'll put anything on that. Currently running one on my '04 that I personally rebuilt.

My original 2004 had 12. The 2005+ have 15 and all share the same compressor wheel which doesn't hardly influence any noise characteristics on a stock engine. My newly acquired Powermax from an acredited forum member has 10 exhaust blades as well.

The more blades, the quieter whistle.

Triple H

Reaction score
He's talking about the powermax, not a stock turbo. All of the powermax's will have the "jet" whistle no matter what year they are for.

Correct. The difference in model year specifics is the pedestal mounting only.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
All POWERMAX turbos are the same, however I think they are useless unless you have injectors. The one on my 04 didn't spool that good at all. If you are just wanted to get it to whistle, put an 03 turbo on it.

Last edited:

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Smut,
The 2003 model has 10 exhaust blades and I'll put anything on that. Currently running one on my '04 that I personally rebuilt. Like i stated i dont have an 03 so IDK.

My original 2004 had 12. The 2005+ have 15 and all share the same compressor wheel which doesn't hardly influence any noise characteristics on a stock engine. My newly acquired Powermax from an acredited forum member has 10 exhaust blades as well. I do have an 04 turbo and an 07 turbo. They are exactly the same blade for blade vane for vane

The more blades, the quieter whistle.

In red.

Triple H

Reaction score

Just pointing it out is all since you posted 2 different answers.

Now one thing that everybody and their brother mix up in conversation is the vgt vanes and the turbine wheel. The vgt vanes have nothing whatsoever to do with noise regarding the whistle everyone is seeking and there are 9 of them actuated by the unison ring found in all Garrett 6.0 production turbos and Powermax models. The whistle that is so desired comes directly from the 10 blade turbine.

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I said 10 vane but like you just stated, I should have said blades!!

RocknRoll

Reaction score
All POWERMAX turbos are the same, however I think they are useless unless you have injectors. The one on my 04 didn't spool that good at all. If you are just wanted to get it to whistle, put an 03 turbo on it.

While i'll agree that injectors will make the powermax "better", i wouldn't go so far as to say its useless with stock sticks. My truck literally is a different truck with the powermax, the right tunes, and stock injectors. Runs like a top with little lag difference over stock and noticeably more power.

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
While i'll agree that injectors will make the powermax "better", i wouldn't go so far as to say its useless with stock sticks. My truck literally is a different truck with the powermax, the right tunes, and stock injectors. Runs like a top with little lag difference over stock and noticeably more power.

I just replaced the failing turbo on my 04 with a powermax. I figured why bother putting a ford reman back on it when the powermax is so cheap. I'll find out this coming week how much different it is when I put the trans back in the truck and go for a spin. Still running on stock sticks for now so hopefully it won't lag too much.

Did you notice any top end difference?

Irontx

Reaction score
Mine was laggier on the low side, wich ran EGTs up a touch. Till I got on the high side. Drove em down. Couldnt get over about 1200 deg. With the stix........ lights quicker, comes on stronger. EGTs....... well lets not talk about that.:D Tuning will help alot.

RocknRoll

Reaction score
I just replaced the failing turbo on my 04 with a powermax. I figured why bother putting a ford reman back on it when the powermax is so cheap. I'll find out this coming week how much different it is when I put the trans back in the truck and go for a spin. Still running on stock sticks for now so hopefully it won't lag too much.

Did you notice any top end difference?

I guess i noticed such a big difference because all my mods have been small and unrelated to power and i've had this truck and been dd for about 6 years. When i pulled the stock turbo and installed the powermax(before tunes) it was unbearable how laggy it was. Very sloooow of the line and felt gutless. Once i had the appropriate tunes it just feels like it has more grunt once the turbo gets going, and I'm running a tune from gearhead that seems to spool it quick off the line. I am however in the early planning stages of getting some injectors. Hopefully in the next six months to a year they will be in...

DSTRBD

Reaction score

What he said.

Most people that buy a PowerMax from us have stock injectors and they are very happy.