Got my fuel mileage back....

PsRumors

Reaction score
Prior to last fall when I made some changes to the truck I was getting a consistent 17 mpg. Sometimes 18 a few time 16 but mainly 17 mpg 90% of the time.

Come last fall and through the winter I installed a D60, Banks Intercooler, Trans cooler, an AirDog II, International Water Pump and BFG A/Ts in 285 75 /16 (same size tire as I was previously running. Along with the D60 was an alignment and all new bushings, tie rods, etc.

After all of this I didn't drive the truck too much, about 2000 miles. Every tank of fuel was 13 - 14 mpg. Every single one, whether interstate or around town. My driving habits didn't change, 74 mph / 2000 rpms on the interstate.

Well, a couple months ago I traded my BFGs and Eagle Alloys off for a stock set of wheels and Firestone Destinations also in 285 75 and also bead balanced like my BFGs. Both tires are E rated.

I have ran about 800 miles since and am getting 17 mpg again. No other changes.

Hard to believe the BFGs would cost 3 - 4 mpg but it appears they did.

rusty1161

Reaction score
I just had a similar experience with my wife's car. She has a 2009 Honda Pilot and with the factory Goodyear tires averaged 15 mpg in town and 22 on the highway. The Goodyears were worn out at 25,000 miles so I put Michelin's on the Pilot. She now averages 17 mpg in town and on the same trip we took to Mammoth last year averaging 22 mpg, this years it was 24. I'm a believer, tires make a difference.

Rusty

old man dave

Reaction score
My brother had an 85 4wd stick IDI that stock got 22 mpg on the freeway. Switching from the stock 235s to 12-16.5s dropped the milage to 20 mpg. Rolling friction from different tires can make quite a difference in milage.

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
My truck did about the same with fuel mileage. I was runnin 235/85R16 Michelin LTX but got the bright idea of goin with a 285/75R16 Mastercraft M/T. 23mpg with the Michelin and 19mpg with the Mastercraft.

Barnabas

Reaction score
when I switched from A/T's to SS' i dropped 3-4 mpg.

I am now back to my previous MPG after mods/fixing boost leaks. So when I go back to A/T's I cant wait!

zilla68

Reaction score
I'm interested more in your bead balancing, I did mine bfg a/t 285/75/16 and haven't had such good luck. How do you dial them in? I went with dynabeads recommendation on my truck and my jeep, neither was I happy. Finally 2 weeks ago I went to discount tire, had them break down the jeep tires, remove beads and balance, rides SO much smoother now.
I'm fixing to do the same with the bfg's unless i can get the beads dialed in, get a constant shake at 60mph. i did the same with my jeep, exactly at 60, pulled the beads, and runs smooth to 90 now, although it took quite a while to get there with the 6 cylinder!

thanks

PsRumors

Reaction score
I used the Equal product but told them to use more than recommended on the Firestones.

The first time around on the BFGs I used what they recommended and wasn't happy so I added some more media and it cleared up all the shakes.

zilla68

Reaction score
gotcha thanks.

I was very impressed on my jeep at first when all the issues of wear disappeared relatively quickly when I used the beads on it, but I always had that 60mph shake I couldn't shake, lol, at first it was ok, barely noticeable, but as they wore it got worse and worse.

Latest posts

Members online