Forged Rod Block

TyCorr

Reaction score
block doesnt matter... its the connecting rods you need be concerned with. If you are getting another block it doesnt matter though. You can buy Carillo's or whatever brand floats your boat. You can get bolts or studs for the mains. If you are going to buy a long block Id make sure its got AT LEAST cryo'd stock forged rods but I think its better to get a/m rods. I mean why go to all the trouble to put stockers in and save a couple bucks.

As for getting a longblock from someone, where are you going to shop? I see you have Davids tunes. R u going to source the parts or full longblock from him?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Oh ok! Im in the same boat. My motor is a good fr motor and it runs great. I just know that 300/200's in an older higher mileage motor is gonna cause issues at some point. I wanna get a WHOLE motor from the local yard that has the hpop and turbo on it and sell the parts I dont need. I dont care if the rods are pmr's or fr's...

I want carillo cr's and mahle coated pistons with the bowl machined. Id also like a cam and headers. Basically do the whole motor right. Not just slap upgraded versions of stock parts in there. Lott is a good builder from what I hear on that stuff.

Black04Ram

Reaction score
Has anybody ever done buisness with south houston engine service? Can get a 7.3 long block with forged rods reman for 3k.. which seems pretty good

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ohhhhhh, I dont know! What kinda warranty they have? I hear alot of horror stories about little shops doing work like that but I dont know if its poor workmanship or people arent upfront or conscious of what they are doing and using the product for.

I mean I wouldnt go buy a custom tranny with a low hp rating and then go and run 600hp through it and blame the builder. But people do crap like that all the time...

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
what are your plans in for more mods in the future if any? there's no point in you spending almost $3k for aftermarket rods or even getting them cryo'd if you're not going above 550hp ish. and the year won't matter on the rods... it's the stress that's been put on them... if you've got a buddy with a 6 or 700hp truck, i wouldn't buy his stock forgers if you catch my drift.

Last edited:

Black04Ram

Reaction score
Not buying aftermarket rod's. Possibly a remanufactured long block with forged rods. Probably wont add much more to the truck performance wise.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Has anybody ever done buisness with south houston engine service? Can get a 7.3 long block with forged rods reman for 3k.. which seems pretty good

there was a thread on either here or PSN a few months back saying how ****ty the work was and they wouldnt warranty anything when it did *** up...and a bunch of people had problems with them that were in the thread...

fyi

TyCorr

Reaction score
So you just want a set of forged rods? Like unabused stockers and put them in your current motor just for peace of mind?

Someone should have some around here!

BUMP!

Latest posts

Members online