what can i do to get more power

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Need to tell us whats done to it, but the responses your going to get if its stock are.

Intake (can do it cheap with a #6637 filter and some 4" piping)
Exhaust (go on ebay and find diamond eye kits if your wanting to watch penny's)
Gauges (just to be safe, plus they look cool)

Once you've got that stuff out of the way buy yourself a TS chip with some custom tunes on it. You will sit right around the 300-350 mark with all that stuff done, about 100hp over stock which is very significant!

dirtboy25

Reaction score
:whs:

6637 intake--- $100
Exhaust--- $350-600
Guages--- $200-1000

Those mods aren't "power" mods but, are a very good investment on these trucks.

Next you'll want to get a TS chip with custom tunes and custom tunes only. Talk to some of the site sponsors, visit their sites, call them, pm them or whatever and decide which ones you think will fit you best.

My choices include, Matt @ Gearhead, Power Hungry Performance (PHP), Diesel Performance Plus, and Tyrant Diesel.... There are a lot more to choose from and they all have their advantages but those listed are the ones I've tried and I liked them all.

A custom tuned chip will run you between $250 and $500.

After that, well then it gets expensive.

If you have more questions, ask away, this place has more knowledge than any two places combined.

Last edited:

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
As stated above. Intake, Exhaust, Gauges all come before anything. You may see a very slight difference in performance to be realistic. Next I would add a tuner. Depending on what PSD you have there are a ton of different options. I have a 7.3 and I have the Dp-Tuner F6. I haven't had it very long, but love it so far. Jody, and the rest of the crew are also very very helpful. He also does live tuning which is a plus.

After these few things you may want to look into injector upgrade or turbo upgrade, but that stuff starts to get pricey.

Just my $.02.

Barnabas

Reaction score
I agree with all the other post's.

So far on my truck since I got it is a 4" down pipe to 4" dual exhaust, tymar intake, autometer gauges (egt, boost, trans) HPX, FRX,

Plus maintenance and fixing minor things here and there.

What year is your truck??? The up-pipes donuts leaking are common on certain years this is one of the first things I had to do on mine.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
All of the above mentioned and find out if its a late 99 or early that will tell us more of what all can be done on the cheap.. After your chip exhaust and intake i would think an adrenaline or modded 17 degree hpop would be a wise investment, then a regulated return fuel system are then next two things i would look into. After that your gonna have to start flipping some serious bills but that will get you a good starting platform to build from.

Barnabas

Reaction score
the badge is on the door and i got about a 1000 bucks for now

INTAKE=300
EXHAUST=500
GAUGES=200

TOTAL 1000

Give or take a little bit on the prices depending on what brand, new or used and such.

Thats what I started with and im sure 90% of the people here will tell you the same :)

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
hmmm, somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but weren't all e99 badges on the fenders? maybe the previous owner moved them...

as everyone else said- intake/exhaust/tuner- that will take pretty much take care of your funds

e99 means you have a smaller turbo and smaller injectors than L99 so there's room to grow there fairly cheaply money is tight and you get those things used. it's not a huge upgrade and if I were doing it I would just wait until you have enough saved to upgade to a 38R/H2e and some bigger injectors... but thats way down the road and we need to know what your goals are

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
gauges: $400-550 if you do a set of 3 with a pod
Chip: $450
Exhaust: $300
Intake: $50

Youll spend a little over a thousand doing those 4 things, but the truck will be a totally different animal when your done.

dirtboy25

Reaction score
where can you get one of thoses 6637 filters

You can order a TYMAR intake but I don't knot what they run for and who sells them. The Tymar and 6637 are identical in looks, basically the only difference is the filter.

The 6637 intake is a DIY intake you can make for less than $100. The filter IIRC is a wix filter :shrug: and can be bought at NAPA. The part number for the filter is 6637. Hence "6637" mod.

The other piece needed is a 45* elbow of 4" exhaust pipe. The local muffler shop should have this, or you could order it from NAPA along with the filter.

This is what it will look like when you're done.

DSC002361.JPG

SAM_0200.JPG

TARM

Reaction score
The tymar is a full intake system including a battery tray and a mount to hold the filter intake tube and it ONLY uses the Donaldson filter which is of those cross referenced the best IMO. When you talk of the DIY 6637 its just that ANY filter that cross references with 6637 and then a small piece of 4" thin wall tubing that acts as a slip joint between the stock intake tube and filter port. Some need to trim the oem battery box other do not.

blackbetty13

Reaction score
I know everyone says gauges. here's what I have to say you can get an exhaust intake and chip and wait on the gauges. yes you need to know what your truck is doing. but it's not like your haulling azz everywhere you go. Tbh I had stage 3 injectors without an intercooler on a stock turbo with intake exhaust and tune I babied it 95 % of the time.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.