Just finished install, subs not working :(

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
So I just installed 3 sundown audio SD-2 8" subs with a AudioQue 1200.1 sub

I wired the subs according to this diagram

3_4ohm_dvc_267ohm.gif

The amp appears to have power as the green light is on. I'm not sure where to start checking? I really don't want to pull the box and subs out again as it was a HUGE PITA but i'm guessing that is where the issue lies.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
hard to troublshoot remotely but i would make sure that your inputs to the amp are right and make sure all the gain settings are correct as well. you might also just try another sub or something too if you have something available, i had some issues with mine and it turned out i got in a hurry when i did my wiring and i didnt have the resistance correct

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
hard to troublshoot remotely but i would make sure that your inputs to the amp are right and make sure all the gain settings are correct as well. you might also just try another sub or something too if you have something available, i had some issues with mine and it turned out i got in a hurry when i did my wiring and i didnt have the resistance correct

Sucks cuz i'm going to have to pull everything back apart again. Might just end up taking it somehwere it's been such a PITA lol. I have a feel its the wiring inside the box or the RCAs

Misread sorry

all good I appreciate the help

jdc753

Reaction score
I would start at the beginning and easy part, make sure that all the proper settings are applied in the HU or with the LOC or however you are feeding signal to the amplifier. From there maybe sure any crossover points or tuning features on the amplifier are not set to crush any signal.

Most likely all that is good, but would be nice if your issue is just a dumb setting in the HU defeating the subwoofer out signal or something easy.

If all that checks out then sadly it would be time to pull the box and make sure no connections came loose when installing the box or when installing the subs.

That setup should bring a good smile to your ears when it is up and running, so a little more work and it will be all worth it in the end.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. I looked through the headunit and couldn't really find a lot of settings. I'm more of a novice at the audio stuff (had and installed a few systems but that's about it). Also, what is the LOC? I think I may grab a multimeter at harbor freight tomorrow and test the RCA cables and the speaker wires going to the box

jdc753

Reaction score
LOC stands for Line Out Converter.

I wasn't sure if your setup used an aftermarket HU, or was integrated with the factory head unit, which would some times use a LOC.

Multimeter is always a good tool to have. Hopefully it's something simply, but just following a good logical process of elimination should reveal the problem.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
LOC stands for Line Out Converter.

I wasn't sure if your setup used an aftermarket HU, or was integrated with the factory head unit, which would some times use a LOC.

Multimeter is always a good tool to have. Hopefully it's something simply, but just following a good logical process of elimination should reveal the problem.

okay cool yea I installed a kenwood dnx890hd last week.

I'm going to play with the ground as well. Where would be a really good place to ground it to with the amp under the rear seat?

superstroked

Reaction score
okay cool yea I installed a kenwood dnx890hd last week.

I'm going to play with the ground as well. Where would be a really good place to ground it to with the amp under the rear seat?

where the seat mounts to the body...use some sand paper to scuff the paint off of the bracket before you tighten back down.

ghohouston

Reaction score
where the seat mounts to the body...use some sand paper to scuff the paint off of the bracket before you tighten back down.

That is NOT a good ground. There are grommets in the floor, put the wire through them and ground to the frame, and of course, scrape the paint off. When I put my first system in my truck, I grounded it there, and the amp stopped working after an hour. Grounded to the frame, and never had another problem

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
I working with a 18" long piece of 0 gauge. Don't think I have the length for that

nickg3130

Reaction score
I've had no problems grounding mine under the seat although I have heard it's not the best ground. I just used a wire wheel and ground the paint off.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
Moved the ground. Same thing. Turned the volume up, didn't hear anything. Out my hands on the sub and felt them moving just a tiny bit. Looked at the amp, gain was way down. Turned it to 60-70% and it's good. Lol

Now I need to figure out how to tune the amp properly and I'll be good!

jdc753

Reaction score

First start by turning the gain down some...

The input sensitivity AKA gain knob works with a range of 0.2V to 8v

and your head unit pushes out a signal at 6v

so realistically you want to be around 35% or so on the gain knob. It isn't a volume knob. With the gain cranked too high and you crank up the volume you run the risk of clipping the amplifier and blowing the subwoofers. The woofers will handle clean power well over their rating, but low wattage in a clipped signal can kill them. Also when setting the gain you want all settings on the head unit to be zero'd out, no Bass Boost, no level increases, etc and then you want the volume around 90% of max, or at your maximum listening level, then you can set the gain by ear till you hear distortion and turn the gain down a click or two.

What all together does your stereo consist of, so far I know

kenwood dnx890hd
Audioque 1200.1
and 3 Sundown SD-2 8's

any other amplifiers? or door speakers?

the reason I am asking is because when tuning the amplifiers in, what you want to start off with is called level matching. Basically you set the gain to your "weakest" speakers, feed them as much power as they will handle, and then you can move to the next speaker/amplifiers and set the gain so that all the other channels blend in with the "weakest" speakers.

From there you can then set the crossover points maybe start around 80hz low pass with the subs, get your crossovers in good standing and from there you can move into final stages of tuning with EQ and other little tweaks.

As for the grounds, frame is great, but if you can get it to work inside the cab then all the better. Cab on these trucks is always debatable due to all the plastic welds holding the cab together. Scrape the paint clean on the truck floor to assure good contact between the ground wire and the floor metal.

Last edited:

HD F250

Reaction score
Moved the ground. Same thing. Turned the volume up, didn't hear anything. Out my hands on the sub and felt them moving just a tiny bit. Looked at the amp, gain was way down. Turned it to 60-70% and it's good. Lol

Dan, you are killing us here....LOL

Glad you found the gain knob and good luck dialing her in.