6.0L EGR delete, problems

DMAX

Reaction score
Me and a buddy did an EGR delete, Oil cooler, and STC fitting on an 05 F-550. When we pulled the oil cooler out the filter screen was completely torn in 2 sections

2lseb8j.jpg

No telling what debris went throgh there. when we changed the oil, we noticed there was still some debris on the oil, so we changed it again. We are in the middle of flushing the cooling system with VC-9. We also put the new screen on the IPR. We started the truck and it runs somewhat rough but not to bad at first. The exhaust smells like raw diesel, and we were getting contribution balance codes for cyl 1 and 3. A circuit low for inj 3 and as of last night the IPR circuit open. After a few minutes of running the idle gets worse and worse and the truck eventually dies, im guessing injectors need cleaning? Could one of those injectors have a busted tip which is why there is a raw diesel smell? Any ideas before I pull a valve cover and start looking at injectors? TIA

Irontx

Reaction score
You got some work to do. 1&3 are probably gone. Scan it and see what IPR duty cycle is. Should be mid twenties at an idle.

DMAX

Reaction score
Okay is there any other PID's that might be worth logging? I think i better start pulling injectors. Im an EFI live guy so Im real used to data logging. Is there any good PID to use that would diagnose a bad injector without pulling it, or should the codes be reason enough? Thanks for the response

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Ids will but im pretty sure that no other program has that feature. Have to be a ford guy to get that though. Another good thing, injector arent hard to pull and dont take to long. Well, 7 might be a prick.

Irontx

Reaction score
Okay is there any other PID's that might be worth logging? I think i better start pulling injectors. Im an EFI live guy so Im real used to data logging. Is there any good PID to use that would diagnose a bad injector without pulling it, or should the codes be reason enough? Thanks for the response

Look at FICM voltage. Will be more than one. The one you want is going to be around 48v. Hopefully. Dont think thats your problem though. Look at ICP. Should be around 5-600 at idle. Whilst IPR duty cycle is around 25-30. If IPR is at 70-80% then you have a problem. It only gets that high when its trying to build oil pressure. You pretty well got what you need. Contribution codes are normally because the oil side of the injector is shot. Low circuit is probably a spool valve. Either way, pull it. If IPR duty cycle is next to nothing(closed valve) your going to have low ICP. PM sent.

STROKER

Reaction score
thanks for the help IRON much appreciated, will check the duty cycle and report back im fairly certain that we have a few dead injectors

DMAX

Reaction score
A little update:

Pulled all 4 injectors from the passenger side. Injector 1 was not opening at an idle. So that got the spool valve replaced, all 4 injectors got new o-rings and flow tested.

http://youtu.be/QcPEeNe5KjM

That is a video of the truck running originally after the EGR delete, oil cooler and stc fitting. Leaning towards there might be an IPR problem too. I want to thank Jesse (Irontx) hes been a great help in trying to troubleshoot this problem. I think were close to fixing it

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
test the integrity of the compression seals. take the secondary fuel filter lid off and take the filter out, key on to fill the bowl with fuel to the top. turn key off and jump power to starter solenoid via wire on passenger side inner fender. looking for air bubbles

and the screen is normal, thats actully a better than ones I have pulled out

Mdub707

Reaction score
River city diesel di the work on the injectors

And they can replace spool valves now? I've never heard of this. They don't exactly have the best rep for injectors from what I've read, though I see they offer to build used injectors or new now.

Irontx

Reaction score
The injectors are back in the truck, were gonna test the hpo system and ipr tonight depending on if mine blows up at the pull tonight haha

I feel ya man. Might have some spare parts myself after tonight. Going to the track.:D

STROKER

Reaction score
home she held together man, lastnight was my 1st pull with the new setup i was easy on the throttle but still managed to get a 4th place finish out of it which im not gonna complain about their was a lot of trucks in the class

DMAX

Reaction score
Another Update:

HPO system tested with IPR closed and the valve did close, still unsure if it is opening all the way. Another issue came to sight. We pulled the turbo again, and there was oil dripping out of the downpipe and out of the Y pipe clamp. There is no horizontal play in the shaft so what are the chances its a seal? Or could it be positive CCP? We are debating on trying to figure out the IPR now or put the turbo back on and check for excessive blow bye and then doing a compression test. Anybody got any ideas?

STROKER

Reaction score
at this point im up for finding a cliff and pushing it off it:biggun:

DMAX

Reaction score
And they can replace spool valves now? I've never heard of this. They don't exactly have the best rep for injectors from what I've read, though I see they offer to build used injectors or new now.

Well RCD is extremely helpfull and we have never had a problem with them or their injectors. They have great service and great turn around time. For being 2 hours away and getting injectors fixed and flow tested then and there and back on my way home within an hour. Now thats good service!

Irontx

Reaction score
Well RCD is extremely helpfull and we have never had a problem with them or their injectors. They have great service and great turn around time. For being 2 hours away and getting injectors fixed and flow tested then and there and back on my way home within an hour. Now thats good service!

Cant really argue with that. Long as YOUR happy.

Latest posts

Members online