max powers+towing

bigastrk

Reaction score
Is there anyone that is running these and towing with them? I am asking because I have two turbos sitting here that are about the same specs just not VGT's. I have been thinking about getting injectors and fabbing them up on my 08 but I am looking to try and get more info about these turbo sizes and towing.

I will be towing at the very max 15k with my truck.

First question would be will 100hp be to much to try and tow with as well as a hot street setup?

Second question is will it be a towable setup for the weight I am looking at?

Of course other supporting mods would go in place to make the setup work.

Thanks
Jesse

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
prolly work great with 60 nozzles, elite pump, and a tow tune. prolly never see over 1200* , ever. prolly make about 750+

jdgleason

Reaction score
Big emphasis on tuning tho... with out vgt, it would be pretty laggy I would think. May want to tighten up the exhaust housings. I know someone who has towed with the actual max powers and said it pulled well. It was a little less than 9k. If it were me, I would have the truck live tuned.

bigastrk

Reaction score
Holy crap that was fast.

I can get a good deal on the II dragon fire pump so I was thinking about heading that route with an airdog. The studs and wastgate are sitting here along with 6.0 manifolds. The only other thing I was thinking would be ported rails and of course tranny.

bigastrk

Reaction score
Big emphasis on tuning tho... with out vgt, it would be pretty laggy I would think. May want to tighten up the exhaust housings. I know someone who has towed with the actual max powers and said it pulled well. It was a little less than 9k. If it were me, I would have the truck live tuned.

Ya live tuning is an issue unless one of the tuners wants to come up and do some tuning in trade for salmon fishing? LOL

BFT

Reaction score
like JD said, without the VGT you would have some lag problems. maybe try changing out the larger turbo and see if that works out for you?

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I agree with the non vgt and turbo lag. II pump is good...for some. Ask Heavyhaul what he thinks about II and standing behind their products. I am running one but if I was buying one today I wouldn't do it.

bigastrk

Reaction score
I agree with the non vgt and turbo lag. II pump is good...for some. Ask Heavyhaul what he thinks about II and standing behind their products. I am running one but if I was buying one today I wouldn't do it.

Funny you should say that because I had a problem with them and their 6.0 injectors but I figured it had been a while and I might give them another go at it. Might be changing my mind then.

BFT

Reaction score
ill say this much, and i know you already have turbos the size of the MAXPOWERS.

we did some turbos on bigrpowr's truck, high powers which are right under that, with a factory fuel system. only thing that was changed was we did an airdog because of the new VGT.
those turbos worked INCREDIBLY well. compared to stock we saw 200* temp drop and about 100hp gain. the tow tune alone made real good power.

elite came out with a new set of turbos (kind of still in testing) but utilizes a modded factory VGT with a larger turbo mated to that.
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4208

aside from that, i hope everything works out for you

Dzchey21

Reaction score
not gunna happen non vgt...

The high pressure needs to be about a 62/64 to make towing happen

bigastrk

Reaction score
ill say this much, and i know you already have turbos the size of the MAXPOWERS.

we did some turbos on bigrpowr's truck, high powers which are right under that, with a factory fuel system. only thing that was changed was we did an airdog because of the new VGT.
those turbos worked INCREDIBLY well. compared to stock we saw 200* temp drop and about 100hp gain. the tow tune alone made real good power.

elite came out with a new set of turbos (kind of still in testing) but utilizes a modded factory VGT with a larger turbo mated to that.
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4208

aside from that, i hope everything works out for you

Thanks for the response. I threw this out there because I had the turbos but its starting to sound more and more like if I go this route the vgt's will be the way to go.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
im not saying that there is anything wrong with them at all, but if your goals are towing i wouldnt risk building the set up to have it possibly fail, from what i have seen a 66 is probably too big to tow heavy.

I dont want to say it CANT be done, but i think a better suited set would be 62mm secondary

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I have ridden in Mikes, with the hp compounds and just an air dog it is nasty! Spools in an instant and smoke free. He did have a smaller housing on it and that helped spooling though.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
im not saying that there is anything wrong with them at all, but if your goals are towing i wouldnt risk building the set up to have it possibly fail, from what i have seen a 66 is probably too big to tow heavy.

I dont want to say it CANT be done, but i think a better suited set would be 62mm secondary

like dustin said, with towing in mind and a 63vgt, we kept the atmosphere turbine housing tight, for just such the occasion of towing 10-15k ... im gonna try a slightly looser housing this time around just for giggles, and if its laggy at all compared to what i had, bft's little fingers will be swapping them back. LOL

Erikclaw

Reaction score
like dustin said, with towing in mind and a 63vgt, we kept the atmosphere turbine housing tight, for just such the occasion of towing 10-15k ... im gonna try a slightly looser housing this time around just for giggles, and if its laggy at all compared to what i had, bft's little fingers will be swapping them back. LOL
Good thing his fingers are little, cause I know mine won't fit.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The little housing helps but i bet its not as big of a deal as the high pressure, being a small turbine wheel in the vgt, plus the vgt, and a decent wheel in the small turbo, it all adds up for fast spool up and good towing, i mean really you could tow on the high pressure alone in theory.

Now being able to drive the low pressure earlier helps with the higher HP towing ablilities, since the high pressure is already flowing a decent amount of air, i dont think the housing on the big turbo is going to make much of a noticeable difference.

HOWEVER im going to try and tow with a 71 vgt, i think custom tuning could make it happen, probably not 10k heavy but we will find out eventually.

Latest posts

Members online