Advantages of a downpipe?

Dustball8504

Reaction score
I'm looking to make the jump into the 6.4 realm and was gathering up a parts list of what all I can justify putting on the truck. I plan on running a 5 inch exhaust and was wondering if a downpipe would be of much benefit or not. I believe the stock piece is already 3.5 inches??? Thanks!

BFT

Reaction score
yes, and it also looks like someone ran over it with a forklift

IMG_2084.jpg

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
mine netted about 50* drop. the stocker is hanous.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I think if I.did it again I would take the crosmember out to change it I had a hell of a time cutting mine

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Mine wasn't too bad to cut. Just make sure your saw is away from all critical parts. Pull the trigger and give her hell.

Cppr Busa

Reaction score
When cutting a pipe in half is the worst part of the job its a pretty easy one to tackle. A extra set of hands would be nice to help line the pipe up/hold in place to the turbo but I did get it by myself.

Jayz

Reaction score
I think if I.did it again I would take the crosmember out to change it I had a hell of a time cutting mine

hell yea bro same here i broke my battery powered dewatt sawzall housing in half cutting mine

tbsimmons

Reaction score
To cut it use a sawzall with an 8" blade. It cuts it fine. A 6" was a little short for me with the angle yo have to hold the saw.

Danbonzo

Reaction score
A carpenter for metal work? That's like calling a maid to cook for ya!!! Lol

A carpenter for their skill with a sawzall. FYI a super skilled carpenter is called a "mechanic" in the trades. They are called this cause their skill set allows them to do dam near anything. Metal work, fabrication, welding, etc. etc. I have known "mechanics" who's knowledge and skills have amazed. Its literally like," Is their anything you can't do"?
But back to the downpipe..The key to getting the oem downpipe out easily is to use a long enough blade. if the tip falls short of the total diameter of the tube that is being cut it turns into a Bludgeon Festival! The teeth on a sawzall blade cut on the pull stroke so make sure that the heel plate stays in contact with the material being cut. It will cut thru that mild steel like a hot knife thru butter. Also if you make the cut from the top to bot instead of vice versa the material will be less apt to bind because gravity pulls the halves away from each other instead of falling together and binding.

Latest posts

Members online