My wmo system

evo45

Reaction score
I have been running w85 for a little over 3 months and put over 6k miles on my powerstroke. In this time I have changed stuff, bought new parts, and made some new ones too. I figured I would show what I have made in order for others to maybe learn something and for me to learn what I could do better from everyone else.
IMAG0479.png

In my first pic I have 4 different totes. The bottom left is my settling tank. I use the 2 top totes to go out and do pick ups with. Well one of the top totes, I havent had a pickup big enough to need both yet. Once I pick the oil up I add 10% rug and let it sit for 2 to 3 days. I then drain off any antifreeze that I may have picked up. After I get the majority of the AF out I drain the top tote into the bottom tote with the clear hose. I have a bulkhead fitting on the top of the bottom tote that has pvc going to the bottom of the bottom tote. This way I can allow the oil to trickle into the bottom of the bottom tote with out disturbing the clean oil that has been settling. In the tote that is on the lower right is all of my waste oil. In here is all of the oil that I have drained off of the settling tote. I am not sure what I am going to do with this oil since this tote was originally full of nasty wvo that was just caked into it. I tried to pressure wash it out without any luck. I am hoping one day the wmo will disolve the wvo and I can drain it and dump it at my friends shop. For now it is a trash oil collection tank. The 2 jugs in front of the lower left tote are full of AF that I drained out of the top tote before I drain it into the bottom one.
IMAG0481.png

My next pic shows my filter and final mixing drum. When I make a tank of fuel I use the 55g drum to measure out each tank. I pump 45g off the top of my settling tote into the 55g drum. I then add 5% rug and pump it through the filter for about 10 min. I do this after each fill up so I have a tank ready for when I need to fill up again if I am in a hurry. That way I dont have to set up a tank and pump it if I need to be somewhere. By making a new tank after filling the truck the oil can sit for a week in the 55g drum and more crap can fall out of the oil for the filter to get out. And since starting to do it this way I havent had any water in my water seperator on the truck and my secondary filters have lasted 2x as long as the first set. I quickly found that you shouldnt do a pickup and try and make a tank in the same day. I killed all of my filters on that tank and decided I needed to do something different. The oil may look perfectly black on top but right under the surface is SH*T!
IMAG0483.png

IMAG0484.png

In the 3rd and 4th pic is my pickup pump. When I first started I was using the green filter to do pickups with. It worked great as long as there was no AF in their oil tank. If there was the filter turned most of the oil to chocolate milk for the next couple weeks. That is how I ended up with 2 of the green filters. I was planning on using the second one for pickups but the gear pump was bad so I made my own pump that is smaller, not much lighter but definatley smaller. I used the electric motor from the second green pump and bought a new gear pump and welded up the base to put them together. It is working better this way so I dont get any emulsified oil. Without the filter the oil and water dont mix up.
The base isnt the nicest looking thing in the world but it works good. I ended up using a piece of frame rail from an international truck and it was a PITA to cut with my little plasma cutter.

I am going to build a supersucker hopefully in the next 3 or 4 months. I'll post back about how I do it. I am not very good at taking pics, usually I am finished with my project then remember that I wanted to take pics of what I was working on. I'll try and remember this time.

Let me know what you guys think.
Vic

whitejohn

Reaction score
Vic this almost exactly what i have planned for the next few weeks when i redo my system from my original set up and move locations as well. the only thing different i wanted to do was make the fuel in bigger than 55 gal drum batches potentially i was thinking about adding an extra ibc or two for filtering and mass storage. bc with my work schedule i wont have time to make oil for weeks so i need alot to be ready to use until i get time again

evo45

Reaction score
I am going to be making fuel for 2 trucks in the not too distant future. My dad keeps telling me he is going to bring home a f350 that he wants to run on w85. I think I am going to use my spare tote in the upper right as my clean fuel tank. If I pump the fuel up to there all my dad will have to do is pull in open a couple ball valves and put the nozzle into the truck. I have more planning to do, it is a constant work in progress. I have a spare filter base so putting a filter at the bottom of the tote shouldnt be a problem.
I want to add a second tank to my truck so I can go longer between fillups and have a greater range when going out of town. My second tank idea is to find a f450 rear tank and put my spare into the bed. It will be easier to move a spare tire around in the bed than a tank of fuel. That would give me an extra 40 gallons of fuel onboard that I would pump from the rear tank to my regular tank.

glamis

Reaction score
nice pics thanks for shareing
btw whats a green pump
im sick of my sbc pump dripping,it's getting on my nerve

evo45

Reaction score
This is the hydraulic pump I used, http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7794-D&catname=hydraulic. My green filters are from http://greenergysystems.com/. I didnt pay that much for them! I bought mine used. The green filter comes with one of the 1.22cu in hydraulic pumps and since I made a free standing housing I figured I would get a bigger pump to make things go faster.

It worked but it isnt as fast as a super sucker so I will eventually build one of those. I like this one,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy__8RynP1g&feature=related, but I want to make it out of a 250g propane tank so I can use my forklift to put it into the bed of my truck under my topper. It will be kinda out of site to avoid questions about what I am doing.

evo45

Reaction score
I ended up using the 1.92 cu in pump from the surplus center website not the 1.55 pump that I posted above.

evo45

Reaction score
Yeah it is, he made it cheap too! $1000 for everything including the trailer! I think it is going to cost me about that much without the trailer. Just the vacuum pumps are going to cost $300 plus the fuel rated 2" hose is going to cost $300 for two 15' sections. I am thinking 30 feet should be enough to get close to the oil tanks. With 2 different hoses I dont have to use the full 30 feet if I can get close which will make it vacuum quicker. The cheapest I can find 2" ball valves for is $27 a piece and I need 3 of them.

rs7

Reaction score
sbc pump

Hey Glamis, I've been toying with an idea about the leaky sbc oil pump shaft...thinking I might take the pump apart and chuck the pump shaft in a drill press or lathe and make a groove in the shaft and put some kind of seal there.......but I have tons of projects and I don't use that pump enough for it to bother me much........but maybe someone else could try that and report on their results?

glamis

Reaction score
Hey Glamis, I've been toying with an idea about the leaky sbc oil pump shaft...thinking I might take the pump apart and chuck the pump shaft in a drill press or lathe and make a groove in the shaft and put some kind of seal there.......but I have tons of projects and I don't use that pump enough for it to bother me much........but maybe someone else could try that and report on their results?

since that post i have aquired a collection pump
it works a 100 times better.
now i just use the sbc pump for pulling the w85 through the
final filter set up,rsr911 says that it can only put 14 lbs of pressure on the filters and it pulls the w85 through my 4 filters nicely
and the mess is minimal now
because im only useing it for like 10-15 minnits...

evo45

Reaction score
I recently added some new parts to my fuel filter. I put a fuel nozzle on it with a swivel and changed how the pressure relief return is. The return is threaded into the coarse thread opening. I bought a fitting that has the same thread pattern as the opening. I put a threaded 90 on it with a bushing to 1" for a banjo fitting. This made it so I dont have to worry about the metal pipe falling out of the top of the drum and keeps splashing in the drum. Here are a couple pics.
IMAG0541.png

IMAG0542.png

evo45

Reaction score
I have changed some stuff on my system and decided to add a couple pics. I made a new cart for everything to be bolted to and added a cone tank instead of a 55 gallon drum.
IMAG0741.png

IMAG0739.png

I made my cart out of some old pallet racking i had laying around and my friend gets the wheels for free and gives them to me when ever i need some.

evo45

Reaction score
I am a little over 16k miles on w85. I have added some diesel here and there but I would say 90% of the miles were on w85. I hate going to buy diesel now, it is so damn expensive.

Latest posts

Members online