Ball joint question

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
How does one know when ball joints need replacing? A guy a the tire shop a few months ago said he said i needed them. He said when he shook my tire it wobbled and crap. I told him to hold off, he said you need to do it or its gonna wear the tires down within a month. So fast foward to now the front tires havnt lost any tread. I put it on the lift and shook the tire last night and it didn't move at all. I tried shaking it and moving it, took the tire off, shook the rotor deal and nothing moved. So when do i know ball joint are out? Was he full of crap to get more money? Do i not know what the hell im doing?
Gracias.

FORD7.3

Reaction score
Best way to check is with a jack, a jack stand and a thin bar of some sort. Jack up one side of the truck and throw the stand under it just to be safe while your shaking the tire, then take the bar and wedge it under the tire and lift on the bar trying to pick the tire up essentially and listen or have a buddy watch for movement. Grabbing the top and bottom of the tire while its in the air will also get some movement but the bar will show more. Hope that helps you out!

yeehaw

Reaction score
exactly what Bryan said Garret, but usually if they are really bad you should be able to move the tire and see play, same with front hub bearings

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
So im pretty much guessing that if you have to put alot of effort into it then the ball joints are not bad. Because the tire ain't moving. Even with the pry bar.

Atsah

Reaction score
So im pretty much guessing that if you have to put alot of effort into it then the ball joints are not bad. Because the tire ain't moving. Even with the pry bar.

You do need to put some pressure on the bar when your looking for play.. I just replaced mine because my tire started to wear on the inside of the tire on the ditch side of the truck.. There wasn't a lot of play in mine but there was some..

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Ive done everything I can. They arent moving. I assume the shop just wanted some free money. Tires arnt wearing at all.

Atsah

Reaction score
Ive done everything I can. They arent moving. I assume the shop just wanted some free money. Tires arnt wearing at all.

I have seen a picture of you so I'm not surprized you can't move them.. :D

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The truck has 133k. I bought it at 96k. I have no clue what the previous owner did to it as far as ball joints go.

I said the shop wants money because he came to the front and said hey "you need ball joints because i can shake the tire like this" *makes shaking motion with hands*

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I have seen a picture of you so I'm not surprized you can't move them.. :D

I can pick up a 6.0 head off the block so I pretty sure I can shake a tire.:lame: Was a pretty good joke though:redspotdance:

Atsah

Reaction score
I can pick up a 6.0 head off the block so I pretty sure I can shake a tire.:lame: Was a pretty good joke though:redspotdance:

Just joking with ya... Does he plow snow at all? I don't know your location.. I plow a lot of snow and that is the reason mine were gone..

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Well I would change them soon anyways.. Their really not that hard to do if you have a ball joint press.

Why change them? Like I say, no movement, no tire wear, no noise, nothing. I mean I wouldnt care to change them..just tell me why i should. I don't have a ball joint press....i don't really know what that is but i can aquire one if needed.

Atsah

Reaction score
Ball Joint press..

Attachments

• balljoint08[1].jpg
    balljoint08[1].jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 50

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Is that a "ball joint press" Or just a clamp?

DCmoore i was serously asking why i should change them for lack of knowledge...i wasnt trying to come off as a douche i just couldnt think of how to word it.

MAC

Reaction score
I thought ball joints needed changed every 100K miles but I'm not for sure, I've never had to change a ball joint before.

If you can't move the tire I'd say don't worry about it.

Atsah

Reaction score
This is what I just bought.. Snap on..

Attachments

• 54430[1].jpg
    54430[1].jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 31

Atsah

Reaction score
I thought ball joints needed changed every 100K miles but I'm not for sure, I've never had to change a ball joint before.

If you can't move the tire I'd say don't worry about it.[/QUOTE]

And if it's not wearing the tire or loose enough so that the wheel doesn't bounce when you hit a bump, I wouldn't change them.. Good ones aren't cheap..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.