wastegate question

Ipkyss

Reaction score
question is on the EDE wastegate.

With the spartan 150 tune. My wastegate was set up regulated boost to the bottom, vent to the top. Worked perfect.

When I went to the 250 tune. It would only make 22psi boost. I switched it to full boost to the bottom and regulated to the top. Worked perfect. Was almost a 1-1 ratio right up to 43 psi boost. The best the truck has ever ran.

Now that I have some miles on the truck since the motor was out, I went to the 310. Runs fine up to about 3/4 throttle. The wastegate is opening to early even with the regulator wide open. Its making 40 psi boost with heavy smoke.

Where do I go from here? I don't want to mess up how the 250 tune runs since that is my towing tune and I need to run that 7-8 months out of the year. There are many weekends that I would like to run the 310 and maybe a few truck pulls coming up.Then for the other 4-5 months out of the year. Am I better off with a electronic boost controller? With a electronic boost controller can I just change settings to exactly what I want in cab and let it do its thing? I want the wastegate doing its job all the time, not just at full throttle. Just like how it works with the 250 tune right now. Would the electronic controller make it work right on every tune without changing the lines around?

I asked the same question at the nation and was hoping to get a little more help here. I guess I for the most part need to know what to do to get it to run right on the 310. I want to hit a few truck pulls coming up soon. Not sure if I need a stronger spring in the wastegate or if I should switch it to full boost top, regulated to the bottom? Also if anyone is running a electronic controller, I am very interested to see how you like it.

eric.davis

Reaction score
This is how I'm about to change mine. Which is how precision states on their instructions. Before I had it to the bottom of the gate and just recently rant it to the top. But my gate wasn't setup per instructions when I had it installed. But I have the same issue with the 310 tune that my gate opens up especially in the 75-120 range and am only able to get 35.

Attachments

• Wastegate plumbing.pdf
    236.1 KB · Views: 111

BFT

Reaction score
wstgate-1.jpg

Shipmate

Reaction score
I see that we are getting reference boost source from the turbo. But see since we are trying to regulate Back pressure could you take the reference from a line coming off the EBP sensor? Yes it is very hot gasses but you could run it through a few circles of copper tubing to cool it off before going to the controller. If I am way off just say so.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
If your regulator is all the way open thats part of the problem. You need to turn the regulator down and supply less boost to the bottom of the gate. If you really wanna make it work though get an ams 500 and set it up with a 16 psi spring in it.

BFT

Reaction score
This is how i have it now. Even with the regulator all the way open (adding pressure to hold the valve closed) It is opening too soon. Am I missing something?

close your gate all the way (counter clock wise) then give it 2 full turns going clock wise and start from there

mike@haller's

Reaction score
This is how i have it now. Even with the regulator all the way open (adding pressure to hold the valve closed) It is opening too soon. Am I missing something?

Sorry i didnt fully read your first post. I thought you were still regulating to the bottom. I would try switching your hoses around and regulate how much boost is going to the bottom to help slow it down. Do you know what spring is in your gate?

Ipkyss

Reaction score
close your gate all the way (counter clock wise) then give it 2 full turns going clock wise and start from there

That gives me right around 32-35 psi boost. That was my starting point. I think somewhere around 3-3.5+ turns stopped increasing boost. Driving around today. I was seeing a max of about 51psi ebp corrected.

I do not know what spring is in the wastegate.

I know the electronic controllers will apply pressure to either side of the wastegate depending on if it needs to be opened or held closed. I am wondering how it works though. Does it go off throttle position? Is there a table that you set what it does per psi of boost?

Will the ams 500 do what I need or is the ams 1000 needed? Whats the difference? I have search all over to find info on them. I have not found the answers I was looking for, and what I did find, I didnt really understand. I am ready to buy either. Changing the lines on the wastegate is not the most fun thing to do with big hands...

Thanks for the help.

BFT

Reaction score
That gives me right around 32-35 psi boost. That was my starting point. I think somewhere around 3-3.5+ turns stopped increasing boost. Driving around today. I was seeing a max of about 51psi ebp corrected.

I do not know what spring is in the wastegate.

I know the electronic controllers will apply pressure to either side of the wastegate depending on if it needs to be opened or held closed. I am wondering how it works though. Does it go off throttle position? Is there a table that you set what it does per psi of boost?

Will the ams 500 do what I need or is the ams 1000 needed? Whats the difference? I have search all over to find info on them. I have not found the answers I was looking for, and what I did find, I didnt really understand. I am ready to buy either. Changing the lines on the wastegate is not the most fun thing to do with big hands...

Thanks for the help.

we are talking about the 310 tune, correct? i am running a somewhat older version of the 310 since i havent updated trhough spartan.

i see 40+ EASY and im not even WOT. just a shot in the dark...are you seeing any CEL's on your dash daq?

eric.davis

Reaction score
we are talking about the 310 tune, correct? i am running a somewhat older version of the 310 since i havent updated trhough spartan.

i see 40+ EASY and im not even WOT. just a shot in the dark...are you seeing any CEL's on your dash daq?

I can hit that easy as well; its the 75+ like on a dyno that I wouldn't build that with the 310. When I dyno'd july 16th most I was able to get was 33-35 but this is before I had it installed with the T installed before the regulator then hose ran to the bottom of gate and regulated boost to the top. Before it was boost to regulator and then regulated to bottom then switched it to the top with same out come. I might get an hour scheduled here possibly after the 15th on a local dyno and see what I get.

BFT

Reaction score
Maybe the dyno isn't putting your truck on a load like you see on the street? I've never payed attention to boost on the pulls I've made.

eric.davis

Reaction score
what was your final number of turns when running your 310 tune? Also with regulated boost to the top of the gate; the more clockwise turns you do should keep the gate closed longer due to having more pressure keeping the gate closed. Resulting in higher back pressure to over come and open the gate. or am I messing this up?

Ipkyss

Reaction score
what was your final number of turns when running your 310 tune? Also with regulated boost to the top of the gate; the more clockwise turns you do should keep the gate closed longer due to having more pressure keeping the gate closed. Resulting in higher back pressure to over come and open the gate. or am I messing this up?

I was right about 3 turns out. I got out and turned it at least two more turns with no change in boost. No CEL. Before the Wastegate I was seeing 56-57 psi boost with the 310. Right now if I hit the throttle I get 35lbs and it slowly climbs to 40-42 or so. When I get a chance I will change it to regulated bottom and full boost top and see what I get.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
had a chance to drive around a little tonight. The regulator is 4.5 turns open, which seems like about as far as it goes. Currently making 40-41 psi boost with heavy smoke. Truck is fast. Almost seems faster than is was before the rebuild. If I hold it to 3rd gear it will walk sideways at 30mph on 35's. It gets hot quick because of the low boost though. Still have not had a chance to switch full boost to the top.

White_monster

Reaction score
I'd say you got a leak in your system somewhere. Sure a hose didn't pop off the wastegate? Maybe one of the hoses is leaking as well. Other thing is your regulator could be no good. I'd test the regulator and see if it's working right.

Latest posts

Members online