Well this sucks...

jvencius

Reaction score
I was leaving our midterm exam yesterday (wound up with a 101% after two questions got thrown out for being poorly-written) and, when accelerating normally and not racing or driving like a fool at all, I heard "BANG...CLANKCLANKCLANK" which was immediately followed by a stream of profanity that would make a sailor blush spewing out my mouth. The engine seemed to be running normally at idle once I rolled onto the shoulder so I figured it wasn't the engine or trans but when I looked underneath, the pumpkin end of the driveshaft was on the ground. AAA came and hauled me to the shop b/c I have neither the time, tools, or inclination to screw around with it myself. As it turns out, one of the bolts holding the pinion yoke in place had gotten broken off some time ago (no idea when...) and the damage was finally bad enough for the whole yoke to self-destruct.

At least it's still early-enough in the semester that I have some money from my student loan since I took a couple c-notes extra, just in case and this is that "case" so I can pay for the repair. The shop just called and said in the absolute best case I'm going to be out $500-ish for parts/labor since I need to get a whole new yoke but if the driveshaft is damaged beyond repair the bill will get closer to $850-ish and that's not good. Does anyone know what a slightly-used but still serviceable kidney is going for nowadays?

Latest posts

Members online