7.3 or 6.0 in 70's F100

Smokin444

Reaction score
Just seeing what it would take to put a 6.0 or 7.3 into one of these old skool trucks. What would be the best front suspension to hold the wait of a 7.3 or 6.0. I know the frame would also need to be strengthened. just trying to gather some info would love to do a 70's F100 with a 7.3 or 6.0 as a cruiser/ drag truck.

mustube

Reaction score
A 250 with leafs would be easiest but finding coils with a higher spring rate or lift coils and make the rear match would work.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

jngreen

Reaction score
I don't really think the frame would need to be strengthened. As for what you would need, I would start with a donor truck with the motor of your choice and swap everything over. You will need all the wiring harnesses and probably the correct dash cluster to make it run.

hiniker88

Reaction score
Im going to be doing this same project with a 7.3 and an f350 OBS frame. Just going to put the older body on the newer frame.

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
based on what iv seen if you get a complete donor truck either way thats the best for all the needed parts. i also believe the 6.0 is a little more compact so it may fit easier in the engine bay up to the firewall better than the 7.3. correct me if im wrong but thats what iv been told

Lysons

Reaction score
I'd be really torn on this, I love 7.3's. Great engine, not much of a powerhouse but can still dangle if you're willing to spend.
The 6.0 just has an amazing sound, plus if you go 05+ you get coil overs...
It's really going to end up being based on what you'd be more comfortable with.

Smokin444

Reaction score
I was looking to keep the f100 look more like a hot rod with a diesel. So would the thing's listed below holding up the front end and not destroy the original f100 frame with a 7.3 or 6.0?
-crown vic front end/ mustang 2 front end
-The whole frame boxed.

shmoozer

Reaction score
I would think that the crown Vic front end would need a set of springs with a pretty solid spring rate so as to keep the front end from sagging.

Smokin444

Reaction score
I would think that the crown Vic front end would need a set of springs with a pretty solid spring rate so as to keep the front end from sagging.

what would be a good spring rate? and would switching to coilovers in the front help?

shmoozer

Reaction score
That's a question that I would have to research for ya. I was just basing my answer upon the thought that the crown Vic and mustang 2 front ends weren't initially meant to hold the weight of our heavy diesels.

shmoozer

Reaction score
In the thread you just posted they are talking about a drag called Snow White. This thread -> http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31960 they are talking about the same truck coming out of retirement. One of the members on the thread you shared is imemlo, he is also in the link I posted above. Perhaps you could shoot him a PM and see if he can help steer you in the right direction? Hope this ya out buddy. Look forward to seeing some progress on this. I love me some old firds!

Latest posts

Members online