torqshift external filter housing

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Been trying to get the external filter housing loose for some time and the cast nut finally broke off. I've successfully change this filter a few times before but this time the cast nut just came right off. Not much room to work with in there. Any ideas on how to get it off without having to take the filter head out? I have a replacement housing and filter so destroying the old one isn't really a problem, as long as it comes off.

I wouldn't be avoiding taking the filter head out as much if it didn't seem to require some sort of special tool to unlock the connectors on the transmission side. I really just want this done and over with for now. It'll buy me some time to figure out some sort of replacement spin-on filter setup to go in place of the stocker.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I always heat the very top where the threads are with a mini butane torch

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I always heat the very top where the threads are with a mini butane torch

Yeah, I thought about heating it up but then told myself it might be crazy talk. Maybe heating it up some and using a big pipe wrench on the housing itself?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
or a band wrench is what I use... you dont need oxy or acet, just a small butane torch used for soldering. heat it for about 5 minutes all around, should spin right off

Mdub707

Reaction score
Everyone I've talked to says to use an impact, or you will break the nut using a regular wrench...

dzldoctor

Reaction score
I always use an impact wrench. Wrecked a few before I used that method. Don't hammer it hard, just let it vibrate against the housing and it has always let loose.

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Everyone I've talked to says to use an impact, or you will break the nut using a regular wrench...

I always use an impact wrench. Wrecked a few before I used that method. Don't hammer it hard, just let it vibrate against the housing and it has always let loose.

I did use an impact. Never had much trouble til this one time when the cast nut broke right off. Tried a pipe wrench and some heat today and the only thing that moved was the filter head bracket as it bent out away from the frame. This is ridiculous.:cursing:

I guess I'll have to find whatever tool it is that disconnects the lines and take the whole assembly out. Kinda sucks.

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

chappy

Reaction score
I guess I got lucky. Mine came right off. I did the 08 pan and internal filter so now my external housing is empty so I never have to run into this.

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I guess I got lucky. Mine came right off. I did the 08 pan and internal filter so now my external housing is empty so I never have to run into this.

I plan on cutting the hoses a bit and getting jic fittings crimped on with some sort of spin on filter head setup. Probably something from cat. I really hate dealing with this bs.

Arctic Fox

Reaction score
I did the 08 pan and internal filter so now my external housing is empty so I never have to run into this.

I also just did the upgrade to the '08 pan and filter (and installed a GoGo DC solenoid while I had the pan off).
But I decided it couldn't hurt to also keep the by-pass filter. Maybe I should unscrew the filter and put some never seize on the threads while it will still come off.

Zmann

Reaction score
harbor freight even sells the disconnect tools but I have changed mine 3 times without issue just using a conventional socket and ratchet

colonyofdrones

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Well, I finally messed with it yesterday. After taking the housing off with a pipe wrench while the filter head was in a vise, I realized the reason it was stuck on was the threads had some corrosion on them. Clean up the threads on the filter head, replacement housing, some anti-seize and its all good now.

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
I also just did the upgrade to the '08 pan and filter (and installed a GoGo DC solenoid while I had the pan off).
But I decided it couldn't hurt to also keep the by-pass filter. Maybe I should unscrew the filter and put some never seize on the threads while it will still come off.

What's different on the 08 pan?

Zmann

Reaction score
Old post I know
but I stumbled on it doing a search.

most probably know by now but the 08 pan is different and is set up to use a real internal filter instead of the screen only like the previous models
this lets you get rid of the frame mount filter