which clutch to get

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
I'm not sure which on to get. I plan on doing d66 and rosewood stage 2's. First off would that be a good setup. But I'm not sure what kinda numbers I will make so I don't kbow what clutch to get.

FORD7.3

Reaction score
If your towing id lean towards a dual disk as they seem to not be as grabby as single disks, as for which ones id lean really hard towards southbend clutches as they seem to have great luck in the ZF-5s

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Bryan- a dual disc clutch in a truck with stage 2's? Really?
Call up Valair and talk to Gary or Dan, tell them Cody from Death Row Diesel sent you. If you tow at all get the kevlar/ceramic clutch, if you don't plan on towing get the full ceramic. You CAN tow on the full ceramic clutch and I've talked to guys who have, but Dan told me they won't warranty the full ceramic clutch if its used in tow applications.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Once in a blue moon I will tow somthing but I was looking at the southbend con ofe how do you guys think that will work

From what Ive seen of it that seems to be a great clutch. Its what I plan on going to after my stage 2's come along.

But I also know Valair can hook ya up with a good clutch also. Either way.

RubberDuck

Reaction score
Sounds like your mind is made up on a South Bend. But like SD4x4 said, you should call Valair, tell them I (Cody) sent you and they will hook you up on the price of whatever clutch you choose. Right now, I'm running the first ever organic/sprung hub dual disk for the ZF5 from Valair. Oh man, it's smooth as a stock clutch, but holds the power. I'm running stage 2"s as well. But ceramic may be your best option since you don't tow much. And that would be single, or dual disk. Valair has smokin' prices on the best clutches on the market, and customer service second to none. But that being said, if you are set on a SB, they make excellent clutches too, can't go wrong with either choice. But it's Valair for me all day long.

smokedout250

Reaction score
I have a luk replacement worked great with my sticks (in my sig) until I got the turbo now I go to pass a car and it slips. I would recomend listening to these guys right now idk what im gonna go with I know that sb makes a great clutch.... as for the others id like some info on them... cody would you enlighten me on them?

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
I'm not set on any one brand yet. I'm just on a tight budget, and trying to find out what my options are and what my best bang for my buck is. I will definatly check out valair.

RubberDuck

Reaction score
I have a luk replacement worked great with my sticks (in my sig) until I got the turbo now I go to pass a car and it slips. I would recomend listening to these guys right now idk what im gonna go with I know that sb makes a great clutch.... as for the others id like some info on them... cody would you enlighten me on them?

Ask away, what would you like to know about them?

smokedout250

Reaction score
I know nothing about them. What kind of friction compounds do they use? What kinda warranty? How hard is the pedal? Is theere dual disk a good option? What sets them apart from the others?

RubberDuck

Reaction score
The friction compounds they offer are Organic, Kevlar, Ceramic, and Sintered Iron. They no longer offer Feramic, or Organic/feramic clutches. I have had every clutch Valair offers for the ZF5, and all of them had very easy clutch pedals. The only one that is a little stiffer is my 3850lbs Sintered Iron double disk in my puller. The sprung hub organic dual disk I'm running in my daily driver has an easier pedal than stock.

Absolutely their double disk is a great option. However I will say, on some ZF trannys you have to shave down some webbing inside the bellhousing. But a grinder and flap wheel makes short work of that in about 2 minutes.

What sets them apart from the others? Customer service after the sale first and foremost. And price is a huge hitter. At any given time you can call up there for any questions and they will be more than happy to talk to you. Dan, Gary, JD, and all the guys up there are gear heads just like us. We all sled pull together actually. They will bend over backwards for their customers and friends. That's what sets them apart.

As far as the warranty, I couldn't tell you. I never had to think about it. You might say, well, how come you had every clutch they offer. That's because I helped Dan design and R&R the double disk clutches they offer for the ZF5. It took several tries to get it perfect the way Dan wanted it. So every time we pulled the tranny for another shot at getting the dual disk dead on, I just installed a different single disk when we were done. At least untill the DD was finished, from then on I've run dual disks in my trucks. I would still be running the ceramic dual disk, but it was jumpy for pulling heavy, so Dan built this sprung hub dual disk. And I'm telling you it's the cat's whiskers.

The bottom line is I think if you give them as shot, you'd never go anywhere else for clutches. But everyone has their personal preference. I just prefer Valair.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I ordered my Valair kevlar/ceramic last week, with the DRD discount I paid $919 shipped for the clutch and flywheel... not too shabby IMO. Now I just need to finish buying parts for my fuel system so my new clutch doesn't get soaked in diesel and start throwing all the parts I have on the truck!

Latest posts

Members online